Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fido 9 posts 41 karma points
    Jul 10, 2013 @ 13:29
    Fido

umbracoUseDirectoryUrls & addTrailingSlash => one node has multiple URLs

Hello!

I am using umbracoUseDirectoryUrls & addTrailingSlash. It works fine, but the problem is that every node has three valid URLs: /node.aspx, /node and /node/. You can see it at this Our Umbraco forum URLs, it works the same. Multiple URLs for one content page is bad for SEO. How can I force Umbraco to use only /node/ ULRs and raise 404 at the /node.aspx and /node URLs?

Also, at current state I am not able not use 301 URL tracker to redirect from /default.aspx to / or from /node.aspx to /node/.

Any idea how to solve that? Thank you.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 10, 2013 @ 14:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Fido

Try having a go with this url rewrite stuff - you can place this in the /config/urlrewriting.config file

http://snipt.org/tnolj/

Usually it's not really a big problem if the site is born with the directory urls instead of the .aspx url's since nobody is linking to the .aspx version anyway. It would really be some weird edge-cases where it would happen. However if the site started out being based on .aspx url's and then is being switched to use directory urls then of course it can be a really big problem.

But give the code from the link a go and let us know if it works for you :)

/Jan

Jul 10, 2013 @ 18:54
    Fido

Thank you very much Jan, it looks like that this is exactly what I need. I changed your example to work for my scenario: http://snipt.org/AGab6 - it 301 redirects /node and /node.aspx to /node/.

Today I don't have much time to test it thoroughly, but right now I don't see any problems.

Btw, what is this (?![0-9]+.aspx) part of your regex good for? It looks like it skips numeric URLs ending with .aspx. Is safe to remove this part or are such an urls somehow used by Umbraco?

Jul 11, 2013 @ 00:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Fido

Sounds got - However I can't really take credit for the script I just googled the issue you described so I'm not really sure about what the regex is exactly saying there. Sorry.

But please keep us updated in this post if you figure it out or has further improvement suggestions.

Cheers,
    Jan 

Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:43
    Fido

Well, then I think it is ok to remove that part of regex, it just skips rewriting for urls like /564651Xaspx. My first thought was that such an urls are used by Umbraco, but it is probably not that case.

Thank you again Jan for you help, I tried to mark your reply as an answer, but I can not do it, maybe not enough karma.

Jul 11, 2013 @ 11:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Fido

Well since it's removing numbers must be because the original creator is making sure that the pages are not indexed with their page id since previews are using the node id to access the page but I don't think it will ever cause an issue with duplicate content so yes I also believe it should be safe to skip that part.

Would you mind sharing what your modified rewrite rule looks like so others can benefit from it if they come across this post?

You're very welcome - I think you should be able to mark a question as the solution no matter the karma score. But if I remember correctly you can't give me a high five. But underneath the avatars there should be a "mark as solution button" :)

Cheers,
    Jan 

Jul 11, 2013 @ 14:20
    Fido

I tried to click mark as an answer multiple times, at first it works, but when I refresh the page it is not preserved.

Here is my solution based on yours: http://snipt.org/AGI2

First rule 301 redirects /node.aspx to /node/ and the second one 301 redirects /node to /node/. Both rules skip URLs starting with /umbraco/.

Jul 11, 2013 @ 14:24
    Fido

And now it is even marked as an answer, looks like I have to click "mark as an answer" and right after that post a message.

Jul 11, 2013 @ 14:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Fido

Seems there has been some hiccups on the forum today, which Sebastiaan should have fixed by now. This unfortunately happens from time to time but work is being done to improve the forums - In fact I'm digging into it next week myself :)

Thanks for sharing your solution btw!

Cheers,
    Jan 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft