Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jonok 297 posts 657 karma points
    Oct 01, 2009 @ 17:44
    jonok

Use umbracoUrlName and remove any parent nodes from the url?

I'm using umbracoUrlName to specify the URL of a page, but the URL still includes the parent node. Eg this is the original URL structure:

domain.com/parent/page

I want to achieve this...

domain.com/page-with-new-url

but this is what happens...

domain.com/parent/page-with-new-url

I can't use the umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath web.config setting because I have other pages in the site that need the parent node info in the URL. Has anybody got any ideas?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Oct 01, 2009 @ 18:09
    Dirk De Grave

Hi jonok,

IMO, umbracoUrlName should not to be used to build navigation/url structures. Rather, a visitor should be able to enter the path domain.com/page-with-new-url and be 'redirected' to the domain.com/parent/page. It's a visitor's feature, not a development feature!

You could still do it though, using concatenation of a few string such as http_host, a slash and the value of the umbracoUrlName property. But be aware that the umbracoUrlName property value can hold multiple values (comma separated)

Cheers,

/Dirk

• jonok 297 posts 657 karma points
    Oct 02, 2009 @ 13:07
    jonok

Thanks Dirk, unfortunately its for SEO purposes (specified by an external SEO consultant) so having a redirect wouldn't really help the situation. Its all about having a link with the url containing the relevant keyword(s). Not sure what you mean by using concatenation - where and how would I implement that? 

• louisjrdev 107 posts 344 karma points c-trib
    Oct 17, 2018 @ 09:59
    louisjrdev

Can you not use canonical urls for this?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft