Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 04, 2009 @ 17:38
    Sebastiaan Janssen

My templates are gone.. :(

This might be my own fault, but in the Umbraco backoffice, when I try to go to the templates, they're no longer there...

They are available on disk and in the database, but not through the UI.

I've actually done some cleaning up in the database and I might've deleted a little too much. Specifically, I deleted two templates that were not in use.

How do I get Umbraco to recognize my templates again?

• Chau 66 posts 97 karma points
    Oct 04, 2009 @ 17:46
    Chau

You could try rebuilding your index.

Go to data >> _systemUmbracoIndexDontDelete and delete out all the files within.

Then go to ~/umbraco/reindex.aspx

Oct 04, 2009 @ 19:23
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Thanks Chau, I did actually try that (should've mentioned it). No luck there :-)

Oct 05, 2009 @ 06:59
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Also, when I try to edit a document type, I get the following exception, I do believe that this is due to the fact that there is something wrong with the templates:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.template.Template.get_MasterPageFile() +159
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.template.Template.getMasterPageContent() +29
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.template.Template.setupTemplate() +330
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.template.Template..ctor(Guid id) +45
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.template.Template.GetAllAsList() +255
       umbraco.settings.EditContentTypeNew.bindTemplates() +324
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +24
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +41
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +131
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +20
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +65
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2427

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4016; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 17:07
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I just don't get why Umbraco is not able to build a list of templates any more. They're there on disk, when I change them, they change on the frontend.. I just can't list them in the backoffice any more.

How could I have broken some relations somewhere? What database tables should I be looking at? Or is something stored in a config file somewhere?

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 17:28
    Douglas Robar

It's always good to triple-check the file permissions on the templates folder and all the files (including the main masterpage file under the /umbraco folder). If you've changed them by hand the ownership may have changed?

It's always possible the database is now a bit messed up... never a good idea to work in the db directly. But let's assume it isn't for the time being.

Be sure to save off the template files, just in case anything else happens :) Wouldn't want to lose them entirely.

A couple strange things you might try...

- re-create the deleted files (even if empty) so that anything being referenced can again be found

- check the event log to see if you can determine which file is having a problem

- any chance you have two templates with the same name?

That's it for ideas at the moment. Hopefully this will help or someone else will have more ideas. Worst case, restore from backups.

cheers,
    doug.

• moseeds 13 posts 29 karma points
    May 01, 2010 @ 00:21
    moseeds

I just had this issue again after a long time. It definitely is due to deleting a template which is still referenced by a content node. This is very easy to do e.g. if you were making some test pages/templates one day.

The easiest way to fix this is to restore a prior backup.

The hard way is to manually track down the id of the deleted template that used to be in the cmsTemplates table. Thereafter you are best off restoring it with the correct alias and nodeIs in cmsTemplates. The pk field is autogenerated and doesn't seem to be used.

I believe this works - it did in my case but I am not 100% sure this alone was the solution.

• sritchie 48 posts 80 karma points
    May 20, 2010 @ 15:42
    sritchie

Hi all,

I've just come across this issue out of the blue - has anyone had any other solutions?

I've gone through all the suggested solutions above barring restoring (I have just completed a lot of work and don't wish to lose it all now)

Saying this - I haven't deleted any templates, which seems to be the suggested cause of this, and haven't been playing in the DB.

I was due to have a client meeting tomorrow, but it looks like I may have to delay this one :(

• sritchie 48 posts 80 karma points
    May 21, 2010 @ 09:02
    sritchie

Never mind - I've just done a restore.... all working now... just the re-work to do :(

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft