Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mads Sørensen 188 posts 433 karma points
    Oct 07, 2013 @ 09:32
    Mads Sørensen

Media Recycle Bin - will not be emptied

Hei Guys

I'm trying to delete all med media nodes from the recycle bin, but when itry to do it nothings happens. I'm only getting this message.

And it just continues doing this for hours, and nothing happens.

Hope someone have a solution for this :)

• Mike Chambers 635 posts 1252 karma points c-trib
    Oct 07, 2013 @ 10:04
    Oct 07, 2013 @ 10:13
    Mads Sørensen

But should the solution be to mess around in the database?

Oct 07, 2013 @ 10:16
    Mike Chambers

you are right it shouldn't be.. but earlier versions of umbraco 4.. (you don't say which version you are running) suffered from orphaned nodes in the db, which is usually why you can't empty the bin..

If you take a look in the console in chrome, or use firebug in firefox you should see an ajax request that is erroring, that might point you to the particular issue, and you might be able to find that in the db, rather than emptying the db via script.

Obv the problem with doing via script is you end up with the physical media folders not being deleted... but you can use F.A.L.M housekeeping plugin to tidy those up.

Oct 07, 2013 @ 10:24
    Mads Sørensen

i'm using Umbraco v6.0.3

And this i s what i'm getting from the Console

I would hate to mess with the db, is there not anything else i could do?

Oct 07, 2013 @ 10:31
    Mike Chambers

the console messages you've listed are just the response to say there's 946 items left.. do you not see an intial erroring one.. think it's usually a 500 server response?

u6.. hmmm I've not encounted the stuck trash there as yet.. maybe an upgrade to 6.1.6 might help?

But with v4 sites that I encounted this with only recourse was to cleanse the DB. :-( sorry

Oct 07, 2013 @ 10:38
    Mads Sørensen

im just getting something like this:

Oct 07, 2013 @ 10:56
    Mike Chambers

Mads, that is just related to the time before the user is logged out from the admin interface.. Can you filter the console to just errors??

Oct 07, 2013 @ 11:00
    Mads Sørensen

Chorme gives me this error:

Oct 07, 2013 @ 11:12
    Mads Sørensen

And this:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)http://slagterhuse.crossmind.dk/umbraco/webservices/trashcan.asmx/EmptyTrashcan

Oct 07, 2013 @ 11:16
    Mike Chambers

yep that's the one that I'd be seeing with a stuck trash can... not sure why you get the no jquery one on the previous...

Sorry I can't help you any further on this one.. there are multiple threads in the forums re stuck recycle bins..

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/2787-Empty-recyle-bin-does-not-complete another one here.

All seem to fall back to the cleanse the DB solution.

If you are wary of this you could amend the script to delete one by one until you find the one causing the issue.. (you may even find that if you do a select on the trashed items in the db that there will be more/less items than the recycle bin is reporting..)

Again, sorry I can't be more helpful

Oct 07, 2013 @ 11:51
    Mads Sørensen

It's ok Mike, i'll take a look at the database :D

• Wing 17 posts 39 karma points
    Mar 26, 2014 @ 17:15
    Wing

We had a similar problem. The problem in our application was caused by the fact that there are multiple nodes marked as 'trashed' while they were not. This happens when you delete a parent media item and then put it back. The childs will still be marked as 'trashed'. This issue also appears in V6.1.6. We've checked U7.1RC and also U6.2RC, the issue has been fixed.

In older versions of Umbraco, the empty recycle bin depends on the trashed status. This mostlikely caused the problems.

Use this query to set trashed to false if they are not really trashed. Hope it will help someone.

-- BUG FIX: trashed items that are not trashed anymore set to NOT thrashed!! UPDATE umbracoNode SET trashed = 0 WHERE trashed = 1 AND path NOT LIKE '-1,-21%' AND path NOT LIKE '-1,-20%' AND id != -21

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft