Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike Grace 8 posts 28 karma points
    Oct 08, 2013 @ 11:34
    Mike Grace

Is it possible to create the equivalent of DNN portals?

Hi,

I am new to Umbraco but have experience developing modules and using DNN.

Does Umbraco support portals i.e. multiple sites within one single installation of Umbraco?

If so, are the users global to the installation or are are they insulated in each portal i.e. Can I have 2 portals both with a user ID of Mike?

I am looking to move away from DNN and I am trying to figure out if Umbraco with fit my needs.

Regards

Mike

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 08, 2013 @ 11:49
    Rich Green

Hi Mike,

You wouldn't regret moving over.

Umbraco supports multiple sites in one install but this isn't really for hosting different companies websites, you might have multiple websites for one company (multi-lingual for example)

Hope that makes sense.

Rich

Oct 08, 2013 @ 12:36
    Mike Grace

Does that mean that you can't map a url to each site (in one install) but you can have e.g.

www.umbracosite.com/customer1

www.umbracosite.com/customer2

etc..

Can each site have its own skin and log ins?

Oct 08, 2013 @ 12:38
    Rich Green

Hi Mike,

You can but it's not advised unless the customers are related.

Regards

Rich

Oct 08, 2013 @ 13:49
    Mike Grace

Hi Rich,

Can you elaborate why?

Is it because they would share the same physical database?

If so, is there are way to differentiate between different sites i.e. something like PortalID?

Regards

Mike

Oct 08, 2013 @ 14:16
    Rich Green

Hi Mike,

Umbraco is not designed to do this in reality, though as I've said it can work it's not advised.

I'm guessing your worry is because of hosting right?

Regards

Rich

Oct 08, 2013 @ 15:06
    Mike Grace

It is more for maintenance really. I will be creating suite of modules and it will be more convenient for upgrades if it all customers are all on the same web site.

It also means that potentially a non developer user could set up a new customer quickly and easily.

Oct 08, 2013 @ 15:45
    Rich Green

Hey Mike,

I'd check out how Umbraco works and what it does, from what I hear DotNetNuke is more set up as 'modules' which as you suggest non developers might install or whatever.

In Umbraco it's a much more bespoke solution, I would see a case where this would happen too much.

That might sound negative but it's one of the most positive things about Umbraco, you can build your clients 100% bepoke websites without coding from scratch. For example you can install the uTweet package but have complete control over the mark up etc.

Rich

Oct 08, 2013 @ 17:47
    Mike Grace

Hi Rich,

I don't mean and end user can set up a site, I mean one of our internal non technical users being able to set up a new site without my help which would be a copy of a standard one i.e. this web site will be to host our own application. I just need multiple sites on one install so I can segregate customers but reduce maintenance.

I do like the idea that Umbraco gets out of your way.

I have installed and set up a site but the way it hangs together is pretty alien to me at the moment. I will watch a few videos and see if it clicks.

Oct 08, 2013 @ 17:59
    Rich Green

Hey Mike,

It does take a litle while to 'click' but once it does it makes alot of sense. You can always use DNN as well as Umbraco, as I said I don't know DNN at all but I know the mark up is messy, we use Umbraco  as it doesn't touch the mark up so we can build everything we need in it.

Let us know if you have any questions, the community is really strong around Umbraco so you'll get answers on here pretty quick.

Rich

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft