Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Atoosa Khoda 96 posts 148 karma points
    Nov 25, 2013 @ 07:29
    Atoosa Khoda

Pages with html/htm extension

Just curious, is it possible to have pages with htm/html extension in Umbraco? and how? 

to clarify this, instead of having a /abc/ which is actually /abc.aspx to be /abc.htm

Many Thanks.

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    Nov 25, 2013 @ 08:00
    Fuji Kusaka

Hi,

So you just want to change the actual extension of your page from /abc/ to abc.htm ?

Or you want to add a Landing page or exclude page in your umbraco project?

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Nov 29, 2013 @ 11:36
    Tim

You could, but it'd be a bit of work.

You'd have to rewrite the .htm requests so that they map to the URLs that Umbraco is expecting (e.g. /page.htm to either /page or /page.aspx). You'd also have to create your own URL helper so that you could get all of the URLs with .htm on the end. If you forget to do that, you would end up with content available on multiple URLs, which causes duplicate content issues for SEO.

Best practice for URLs these days is to use extension-less URLs, like /page/ as that way you can change the underlying technology powering the site, without necessarily having to change the URLs. I'd strongly recommend doing that rather than using .htm extensions.

• Jan Egil Kristiansen 37 posts 160 karma points
    Jun 01, 2015 @ 13:31
    Jan Egil Kristiansen

I agree that extension-less URLs are cool.

But I have an old site there all (or most...) URLs end with .htm

I can name a content page e.g. program.htm or slash/slash/page. But when trying to access them in the browser, I get 404.

When converting an existing site to Umbraco, there should be a way to preserve old URLs like http://www.sjonleikarhusid.com/savn/2014/fo.html ? The coolest URL is one that never changes?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jun 01, 2015 @ 13:47
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Jan,

I think it would be a good idea for you to have a look at the 301 url tracker package https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/301-url-tracker

The Url Tracker is used to manage URLs within umbraco. It automatically tracks URL changes, for instance when a node is renamed, and makes sure the old URL will redirect to the new location. This is great for SEO and great for people visiting your website via this old URL.

Search engines will update the indexed URL and people won't visit the old, broken URL. You can also create your own redirects, based on a simple URL or using a Regex pattern. You can redirect to an existing node or a manually entered URL. This is great for migrating existing indexed URLs to your new website!

Hope this could be a solution for you,

/Dennis

• Jan Egil Kristiansen 37 posts 160 karma points
    Jun 01, 2015 @ 21:44
    Jan Egil Kristiansen

It looks good. Better than I expected.

Jan Egil

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft