Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• julius 107 posts 289 karma points
    Nov 30, 2013 @ 16:42
    julius

Will Umbraco move to CKEditor in het future?

I have been helping my client today with a number of TinyMCE issues over the phone. My experience is that clients are just not happy with TinyMCE. The general feeling they have is that it doesn't do what they want. I know that is vague and that software developers like an exact description of the problem, but I don't have that right now, because I haven't been able to investigate the issues myself as I was talking over the phone and the problems had already happened.

However, I often end up asking my clients to email the HTML, then I edit the HTML myself and email it back to them and have them insert it via the HTML button. So I end up being their Rich Text Editor. My clients that DO know HTML very often use the HTML button and edit their articles in HTML directly, bypassing the advantages that a Rich Text Editor should bring.

I tested CKEditor in a personal project and found it to be much more user friendly and I don't use the HTML editing option nearly as often as I do with TinyMCE. I had to create the uploading of images myself, because the free version doesn't support that, so it took me some work to use it, but it is pretty good once you have it running.

What is the Umbraco team's stance on the RTE? Ant plans to move to a better RTE, or do you think TinyMCE suffices?

Integrating CKEditor sounds like a fun project, but I think it would take a considerable amount of work and knowledge of Javascript to integrate inline macro's and the media library, so if anyone has taken the time to create an extension that does this for me, I'd be really happy to hear about it :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft