Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas Brinegar 84 posts 162 karma points
    Jan 03, 2014 @ 22:16
    Thomas Brinegar

Multiple instances of a DataType per DocType

Hello community!

I have been using Umbraco almost a year now and wanted to throw out an idea and see if it is already possible to do within Umbraco or not.

When I am defining data types, is there any way that you can specify that the user can have 'multiple' or a list of a single field? For example, if I wanted to have a text field called "title" and wanted the content editors to have the ability to add/remove/re-order those entries?

The thing that appealed to me most about Umbraco is its close resemblance to HannonHill's Cascade Server, which has this capability. When defining a data field, it essential just gets set with a checkbox to mark it "Can have multiple". What would be really nice is if we could define a container of related fields and create multiples of those for easy iteration in XSL.

Does anyone know if this is currently possible with the latest versions (or any)? If not, how can I either contribute on getting the ball rolling for this?

• David F. Hill 122 posts 242 karma points
    Jan 06, 2014 @ 17:16
    David F. Hill

Hi Thomas,

Have a look at these data types:

Checkbox List - Create a new data type and select "Checkbox list" as the property editor.
    The choices are specified in the Prevalue field. Enter an item as a prevalue and click the save icon. Each time you save you can create the next item.

"Dropdown list Multiple" - works the same way as Checkbox List.

"Ultimate Picker" - reads the choices from the child nodes of a parent node. Create a new data type and select Ultimate Picker as the property editor. Lots of flexibility with this handy data type.

Hope that helps,
    David

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jan 06, 2014 @ 17:26
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

Maybe these pacakges can help:

Embedded Content

MultiType DataType 

Widget Builder

Jeroen

• Thomas Brinegar 84 posts 162 karma points
    Jan 06, 2014 @ 21:50
    Thomas Brinegar

Thanks for the replies guys--I think the MultiType DataType is exactly what I am looking for!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft