Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris 47 posts 127 karma points
    Jan 10, 2014 @ 00:24
    Chris

Product/Service Directory & URL Structure

Hello wonderful Umbraco Community!

I've been hard at work for the past several weeks training to become an Umbracoder (TM) and although I've made a lot of progress I can't seem to figure out how to best structure content that may appear in multiple categories.

The comments in this post are very helpful for a primary structure:
    http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/creating-content-folders

But it doesn't address a more robust product/service catalog like you might see on a brochure website. What if items can appear in multiple categories that are created by a content admin? How should they be structured in the folders while being able to have multiple urls to the same content?

Say I make a site that showcases my video game collection. The following urls could all point to the same game page:

www.mygames.com/super-mario-3
    www.mygames.com/action/super-mario-3
    www.mygames.com/8-bit/super-mario-3
    www.mygames.com/nes/super-mario-3

Should I create a single Game doc type that exclusively holds the DATA for a game, and then create a bunch of Page doc types (action, 8-bit, nes, etc...)? How might the folder structure look like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've already watched every tutorial video and I just can't seem to find any details about how people would go about structuring this type of content via Umbraco's Document Type premise. The more I think about it, the more it hurts =)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft