Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• William Charlton 171 posts 218 karma points
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 20:00
    William Charlton

Multiple Member groups not working - by design?

I have a site with a log in to allow members (Translators but not Umbraco BackOffice Translators if that makes any difference) access to a protected area. This works fine, I have several properties (Language1 and 2 for example) I need to record for this group and this seems to work OK too.

I then installed nForum which has its own Member properties. The problem is the nForum member properties do not match, I'd be surprised if they did!
    If I create a Translator I see their properties and all is good, I can edit, update and they can log in and see the protected Translator's area.

If I then add them to the ForumUser group I can't see a way to edit their Forum member properties and vice versa if I create a Forum Member and add them to the Translators group I can't edit their Translator member properties. They can log in and see the protected Translator's area though so that works. Incidentally when these types of members (added to Translators group first) log in, it throws an error as nForum doesn't like the missing Forum member properties which I don't have access to. I could add the nForum properties to the Translator group but that sounds nuts to me.

So it looks like I can only have one group per log-in although Umbraco allows me to add people to any Group I create, I only get to edit the properties of the group they are first created in. WTF?

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:33
    Morten Bock

Hi William

I'm not familiar with nForum, but conceptually we need to establish the difference between member types and member groups.

A member type is like a document type. It defines which properties there need to be on this type of member. As with document types, you can only choose one for a member, and you cannot change it.

A member group is a "role" that you add to a specific member.

There is no correlation between "group" and "type". 

What I think you need to do is to take the properties that exist on the ForumMember type, and add them to your Translator type. Then when you add the translator members to the forum group, they have the properties needed for the forum to work.

Basically there is not really a nice way for you to separate the forum properties from the translator properties. You can put them on different tabs, but that only shows in the backend. If the frontend's "edit profile" page just shows all fields, then it will show all fields regardless of it being in the forum or translator section.

I hope this helps, even if it's not a pretty solution :)

• William Charlton 171 posts 218 karma points
    Jan 16, 2014 @ 14:12
    William Charlton

Thanks Morten, Yes, that was the conclusion I came to.

A member can only be one Member Type and therefore only have one set of properties. If that member needs to be in a Member Group for access to any restricted area then if that restricted area (e.g. nForum) requires certain properties and certain values set, then the Member must have those properties in the Member Type it belongs to or it cannot join that Group.

If a Member Type does not have the properties required for a Group then no Member of that Member Type can belong to that Group.

Weird but it is a bit clearer now.

Member Type defines the properties of a Member

Member Group is just that, a Group of Members who may or may not be of the same Type. If Members do not have Properties required by a Group then they cannot join that Group.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft