Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mfeola 117 posts 221 karma points
    Jan 23, 2014 @ 21:43
    mfeola

Adding Relations to a Relation Type

I have created an entire site and then copied it, creating a Bidirectional relationship between the copy and the original item. I am using this so that the copies can link back to the originals which will be in another language. The client has added a new node on both language and i am stumped on figuring out how to relate the new nodes to each other?

Is there a way on the admin side to do this cleanly? The current relation type has 59 items and I wouldn't want to add another different type or have to copy and paste every node every time this happens, deleting one of the two the client made before. If I have to do the second option I will but I am hoping that there is a way to do it without deleting anything.

• MrFlo 159 posts 403 karma points
    Sep 14, 2015 @ 13:28
    MrFlo

Any news on this ?

Sep 15, 2015 @ 16:17
    MrFlo

Hi,

For those looking for a clean system there is this simple data type made by @Asbjørn : https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/relations-picker/

You can use nuPicker as well but there is a bug when saving relations in the current version: https://github.com/uComponents/nuPickers/issues/105

• Brett Spencer 88 posts 259 karma points
    Dec 17, 2015 @ 20:10
    Brett Spencer

This is not viable solution. There should be a way to add relations in the Relation Types. I am motivated to make this point because my code to handle relations has already been written and in production.

• Brett Spencer 88 posts 259 karma points
    Dec 18, 2015 @ 17:24
    Brett Spencer

So to follow up on this... I had the choice of changing code, creating my own back-end tool, making necessary changes directly in the database, etc. Because I needed to get this done and ready for translations TODAY (less than 1 day turn-around), which gives absolutely no time for complicated changes and development (welcome to the real world of development), I made the gut wrenching choice of using Asbjørn's tool. THANK god I recently had a plethora of issues trying to update to 7.3 and was still on 7.2.x, which is the only tested version.

It was successful as it let me map the necessary pages, one by one. So thanks to Asbjørn.

Now... why is this not a viable solution and why should this be built into the Umbraco Copy "mechanism" [possibly with ability to copy n-times]? Because relying on a third party, untested "plug-in" on an Enterprise level site is BAD practice. The possibility of issues and cost could cause people to lose jobs.

With this particular tool, I needed to place the Datatype on the Document Type for every page that I needed to map. My architecture was well thought-out enough that I only needed to add it to one Document Type... but, I had to go into every single page and map it to all 9 languages. That was a lot of manual time spent... again a cost that should be avoided!

For the sake of those reading that do not have enterprise level experience, I tested this in a testing environment, I would never do this in a production environment. But it did work (at the cost of sleep)!

Oh... and I was able to keep my original code that used the relationship service.

Dec 18, 2015 @ 07:27
    MrFlo

Hi Brett,

What's not a viable solution? You can add a relation by going on each document and add a related page using that tool. I am using it to link translations on some sites.

What kind of solution are you looking for?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft