Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sangeeta 20 posts 80 karma points
    Feb 09, 2014 @ 14:46
    Sangeeta

Multiple url for same content in umbraco

Im using Umbraco 6.1.5. I need a better structure of my site, from SEO point of view. But it seems like umbraco generating too many links for the same content. Which is not good from SEO perspective.

for e.g. for single content i will have multiple url's like below:

id.aspx

id

id/

folder/node.aspx

folder/node

its creating 4 pages with same content. which will effect in google indexing. above pages will be indexed as duplicate.

Can any body suggest me , how can i get rid of multiple url's for the same content in Umbraco.

I know few of the methods like 301 redirect and canonical . but not sure which one will be better to use with umbraco. or i use both?

if yes , then how to use 301 redirect and canonical url in umbraco

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 10, 2014 @ 08:15
    Sebastiaan Janssen

If you never link to them then google can't know about those "extra" links so it's not going to hurt your SEO.

Of course you can always included the canonical meta tag in each page and Google will be happy with that and ignore the alternative versions.

If you really want to try then have a look at the UrlRewrite module for IIS, you could at least rewrite the .aspx version (just strip the .aspx).

I don't know why you would ever link to the "/id" (so: site.com/3301) version from anywhere but if you do then you could have a look at implementing your own HttpModule to get the NiceUrl of the page and do a 301 redirect to it.

Again, all this is totally unnecessary as long as you don't have an <a href="...> link to the alternative URLs and don't link to them in your sitemap xml or robots.txt. Google doesn't know about links until you advertise to the world that they exist.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Feb 10, 2014 @ 09:26
    Richard Soeteman

As Sebastiaan mentioned use url rewriting for this. This can do all but id, which i've seen also on a site. You might want to check out SEO Checker, a plugin for Umbrao that can handle all above Issues with a single mouse click. http://soetemansoftware.nl/seo-checker This will also automatically generate the correct canonical url meta information for you.

The package is commercial but functional on localhost.

Best,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft