Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Filip Lundby 128 posts 149 karma points
    Nov 02, 2009 @ 14:10
    Filip Lundby

Node auto unpublish/expire?

Hi,

I just upgraded to 4.0 but see that the expire-thing under node-properties still doesn't work. Am I the only one experiencing this? Or am I doing something wrong?

• Ricky Beard 61 posts 116 karma points
    Nov 02, 2009 @ 15:54
    Ricky Beard

I am not sure that anything has changed with respect to "Remove at" from version 3 to 4 and I know that you are not alone with this problem (see this thread).

Is there a core team member that can explain how it works in better detail?

Nov 03, 2009 @ 08:47
    Filip Lundby

Morten: "The method that should be doing the unpublish stuff is called every 10 minutes or so."

Called by what? Is there an build-in timer in Umbraco? Sounds weird.

I thought Umbraco would check the publish/unpublish date the second the node was visited. So maybe I'm just impatient?

• David Lees 5 posts 25 karma points
    Nov 03, 2009 @ 14:39
    David Lees

Umbraco is designed to contantly run in the background on the web server. In theory if everything is running correctly then nodes will get unpublished at the specified date/time. The application is started whenever somebody views a page on the site. It is supposed to keep itself running in the background. Normally IIS will stop applications after a period of activity, but Umbraco overrides this to keep instelf active.

If for any reason the background application has stopped working and isn't working at the specified time then the remove at will fail to happen.

I have had problems before where the is something causing the application to crash in the background so it isn't running at the correct time.

I suggest checking Umbraco's logs (either using one of the log viewer packages, or directly in the database in the umbracolog table) and if available the IIS event logs to see if the is an underlying problem that is causing the background process to crash. As the application gets restarted whenever anybody views a page its not always obvious its not working.

• Gary 20 posts 44 karma points
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 00:09
    Gary

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand this, how does Umbraco override IIS? Doesn't Umbraco run as a standard ASP.Net app using the worker process? If the worker process settings are set to recycle or in this case stop after being idle, how will Umbraco stop it?

The only way I think this could work would be to have a service running in the background that keeps the worker process active all the time (no hits to your webpage = being idle = worker process killed = no unpublishing). Since installing Umbraco does not actually do any application installs there are no services running so I think it's quite reasonable to assume that Umbraco can indeed skip unpublishing events on low hit websites.

I'm just saying this off the top of my head though. I haven't used this feature yet myself but if what's being implied is true and Umbraco doesn't check the unpublish page when serving it, then I will be careful about relying on it. On the other hand, it should probably be checked on app start as waiting for the page to be served will cause issues with links (if you've used it in a menu etc)

Nov 04, 2009 @ 14:45
    Filip Lundby

I just made a test and gave it a little more time to timeout. It worked :)

I still don't see the need of some service or whatever running in the background, but as long as it works I'm...

Nov 04, 2009 @ 14:46
    Filip Lundby

Sorry forgot to write "glad" :-)

Nov 04, 2009 @ 14:51
    Filip Lundby

Oh, and i noticed that the node-icon in the Umbraco backend shows up as active/published after the node has been removed automatically from the website.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft