Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Olbert 87 posts 117 karma points
    Nov 03, 2009 @ 02:00
    Mark Olbert

Help with Weird Problem

I just had my hosting provider, softsyshosting, install an SSL certificate on my Umbraco-powered site. Now all of a sudden when I try to, say, create a template in the backoffice I'm being hit with a >>Windows<< dialog box asking me for a username and password. I tried using the Umbraco password for the site, but, as expected, that didn't work. When I cancel out of the repeated credential prompts the Create Template dialog box gets filled up with an error message:

Server Error in Application "IMPROVEDSCHOOLFUNDING.COM"

Internet Information Services 7.0

Error Summary

HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

Detailed Error Information
    Module WindowsAuthenticationModule
    Notification AuthenticateRequest
    Handler PageHandlerFactory-ISAPI-2.0
    Error Code 0xc000006d
    Requested URL http://www.improvedschoolfunding.com:80/umbraco/create.aspx?nodeID=init&nodeType=inittemplates&nodeName=Templates&rnd=24.5&rndo=25.2
    Physical Path C:\HostingSpaces\improved\improvedschoolfunding.com\wwwroot\umbraco\create.aspx
    Logon Method Not yet determined
    Logon User Not yet determined
    Most likely causes:
    • The username supplied to IIS is invalid.
    • The password supplied to IIS was not typed correctly.
    • Incorrect credentials were cached by the browser.
    • IIS could not verify the identity of the username and password provided.
    • The resource is configured for Anonymous authentication, but the configured anonymous account either has an invalid password or was disabled.
    • The server is configured to deny login privileges to the authenticating user or the group in which the user is a member.
    • Invalid Kerberos configuration may be the cause if all of the following are true:
      • Integrated authentication was used.
      • the application pool identity is a custom account.
      • the server is a member of a domain.
    Things you can try:
    • Verify that the username and password are correct, and are not cached by the browser.
    • Use a different username and password.
    • If you are using a custom anonymous account, verify that the password has not expired.
    • Verify that the authenticating user or the user's group, has not been denied login access to the server.
    • Verify that the account was not locked out due to numerous failed login attempts.
    • If you are using authentication and the server is a member of a domain, verify that you have configured the application pool identity using the utility SETSPN.exe, or changed the configuration so that NTLM is the favored authentication type.
    • Create a tracing rule to track failed requests for this HTTP status code. For more information about creating a tracing rule for failed requests, click here.
    Links and More Information This error occurs when either the username or password supplied to IIS is invalid, or when IIS cannot use the username and password to authenticate the user.

View more information ยป

Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles:

Interestingly enough, the site appears to still be serving pages...which is really odd, because as I mentioned in a separate post just now I think I accidentally deleted all the templates. Although maybe the reason the template node turns up empty is related to this bizarre access problem. I've used FileZilla and confirmed that the template files themselves are still there.

Any help or leads would be appreciated.

- Mark

Nov 03, 2009 @ 02:23
    Mark Olbert

Some more information:

1) The template files are all in the masterpages folder.

2) I've looked in the template table in SqlServer and the templates >>seem<< to be properly represented there, too.

But every time I click on the little triangle next to the Template node it givs me the "One moment please..." message and then...the triangle disappears and no templates appear.

What the heck is going on??!??!

- Mark

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Nov 03, 2009 @ 02:30
    skiltz

Is this when using https:// ; or http:// or both?

Nov 03, 2009 @ 05:10
    Mark Olbert

Both. Although I never intended to use https, that just happened once by accident.

- Mark

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft