Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Torben Warberg Rohde 35 posts 89 karma points
    Nov 12, 2009 @ 10:11
    Torben Warberg Rohde

Dating Blog4Umbraco posts back in time (importing existing posts)

We are implementing a site which also contain a blog, which we have made using the excellent Blog4Umbraco package. The client has an existing blog and naturally they want to convert their existing content. So we can't have all the posts registered as posted "today" as Blog4Umbraco does by default.

How do you set the date for a blogpost to a different date than "today"? Either when creating it, or by editing it afterwards.... Those datefolders are magic entities from a different dimension to me ;-)

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 12, 2009 @ 11:28
    Chris Houston

Hi Torben,

You should be able to manually create your own date folders and blog posts with historical dates, just don't add the blog posts to the top level or it will automatically create the todays date structure.

You can also do this programmatically which depending on where you are getting the historical data from and how much there is, it may well be the preferred option. I have written code that does this and there is also the umbImport package which might help you.

Cheers,

Chris

• Chad Rosenthal 272 posts 474 karma points
    Nov 12, 2009 @ 16:12
    Chad Rosenthal

Yeah, this one was one of my chief complaints about the blog software. The beta for the Autofolders module has the ability to the data from a field and then create the folder structure based on it instead of the create date. Problem is, I don't think you'll be able to integrate that with the blog4umbarco.

Nov 15, 2009 @ 14:40
    Torben Warberg Rohde

Ok, I think I'll check out umbImport. It's a couple of hundred posts, so the time spend on automation would probably quickly be paid back.

"data from a field and then create the folder structure based on it instead of the create date"
    That would be natural yes. I'd rather not go down that road, unless it can be done with the xslt macros and templates alone (and not having to compile custom versions of the accompanying DLL)

Thanks for the input
    - Torben

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Nov 16, 2009 @ 09:49
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Torben,

I've created a Rss Import adapter for umbImport, as an example of how to extend the import functionality. Might worth checking out when importing lots of posts.

Cheers,

Richard

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Nov 26, 2009 @ 11:39
    Rik Helsen

There is mention of an addon that handles this in this topic in the old forum:

http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst8283_Umbraco-blog-v4-publish-date.aspx

but the link doesn't work anymore. I'm trying to contact the author as we speak, because i have a simular issue.

Did you already resolve your import? if so, how?

Kind regards,
    Rik

Dec 15, 2009 @ 23:33
    Torben Warberg Rohde

@Rik:I ended up not importing them. It turned out the customer actually only had about 30 posts, so I just created them manually.
    I made some small modification to the blog4umbraco DDL (probably the same as the link you posted). Description here:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/5774-Editable-date-for-Blog4Umbraco-1x-(short-how-to)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft