Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Laura Holland 82 posts 103 karma points
    Nov 16, 2009 @ 16:12
    Laura Holland

Integrating YetAnotherForum v.1.9.3_FINAL-SRC with Umbraco 4.0.2.1

Hello All,

Has anyone out there integrated YAF 1.9.3_FINAL-SRC with Umbraco 4.0.2.1? I tried to integrate the two using this http://dawoe.blogspot.com/2009/02/intergrate-yet-another-forum-193rc2.html but I was unsuccessful, and managed to disable the entire site. I was able to get Umbraco and the site back up and running, but I'm having problems saving xslt files.. they keep having errors (though they don't really have errors, since they worked fine before I installed YAF). I disabled the xslt error checking, for now.

Dave's description of how to install YAF didn't match up to what I had downloaded from YAF. The files weren't where they were supposed to be..

I really need to get a forum running on the site, but I haven't had any luck with UForum or YAF, and I don't know of any other options.. Anyone have any ideas? I need a forum that integrates with the Umbraco membership i already have running on the site, and I need the forum to support different authorship roles.

Thanks,

Laura

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Nov 16, 2009 @ 16:32
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hey Laura,

Sorry to hear that you have problems with my guide. I see in your post that you used the final version of YAF. My guide is for release candidate 2.

I haven't investigated yet what needs to be done to get it running with the final version. Can you tell me what problems you had more specific.

Nov 16, 2009 @ 16:59
    Laura Holland

Hi,

Your instructions were so detailed.. I'm probably the one who messed it up somehow!

When I unzipped the YAF package, there were 6 subfolders. All of the files you reference are under the "YetAnotherForum.NET" folder. The Bin file is divided into two subfolders, Net2.0 and Net3.5. Everything else was as you said it would be, but all under the sub folder "YetAnotherForum.NET".

I first tried to move the YAF bin file as-is, with the two subfolders, into the main bin file, and then later tried it with just the files from the Net2.0 folder (as that's what I'm running). Either way, I never had any problems with Umbraco stopping, at least not at this point, but I put the AjaxToolkit snippet on the config file anyway, just in case.

I followed all of your other instructions. When I went back to check on the site, it couldn't run at all (front or back end), and I couldn't run the YAF install page either. I uninstalled everything, but in my haste I think I lost some of my original dll files, which is why I think I'm getting errors now in the Umbraco back end.

Nov 16, 2009 @ 21:51
    Laura Holland

OK, Well I figured out why the file structure didn't match.. I downloaded the SOURCE version, but your instructions are for the BIN version.

I went through your tutorial line by line (everything matched up to your description) and all was fine until I uploaded the updated web.config file. Both front and backend are back down.. "internal server error". Can't access YAF install page either.

Nov 16, 2009 @ 22:43
    Laura Holland

Back again.. I went through the instructions to changing the web.config file line by line, and resolved my issue.  I didn't know that the connectionString snippet had to go after the configSections. The site now runs, front and back, with the config file completely updated per the instructions.

Now, when I try and load the "/yaf/install/default.aspx" page I get this error:

Invalid language file C:\HostingSpaces\spectral\spectralenergysolutions.com\wwwroot\languages\english.xml

It looks like I need to tell it to look under the YAF folder, but I'm not sure where to do this..

Nov 16, 2009 @ 23:01
    Laura Holland

Got it.. Code snippet number three needs the text "YAF." before each key. Thanks sperrow ..

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Nov 17, 2009 @ 11:41
    Dave Woestenborghs

Nice to here that you got it working.

It's really time that I update that guide.

Nov 18, 2009 @ 21:46
    Laura Holland

dawoe,

It works great. I really appreciate the time you took to make the guide. I couldn't have done it without it!

Also, good news that the "register" function works in this version of YAF and integrates with the member section in umbraco, as far as I can tell

The only issue I'm getting now is that I get the following error when I try and delete a member from the member section of the Umbraco backend:

Invalid postback or callback argument.  Event validation is enabled using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page.  For security purposes, this feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate from the server control that originally rendered them.  If the data is valid and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.

It doesn't matter whether the member was created in YAF or not, either way I get this error. Any ideas as to what's causing this?

Nov 19, 2009 @ 03:41
    Laura Holland

I set enableEventValidation="false" in the the web.config, and now I can delete members from the backend, but I'm not sure is this is a good fix. Can I mess things up without event validation?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft