Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• sg 33 posts 83 karma points
    Jul 01, 2014 @ 15:10
    sg

How to create a "Archive" DocumentType/Content in umbraco

Hi All,

I need to create a webpage that has a listing of some archived pdf documents by year. So basically, the user picks the year from a dropdown and then the page needs to display a bunch of hyperlinks to various pdf documents ( that have been stored in media folder). What is the best approach to handle this?

Thanks

Shilpi

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jul 01, 2014 @ 22:10
    Dennis Aaen

Hi sg.

I will try to come with some ways to do it.

As I see it you could create a DocumentType called e.g YearFolder, and another one called e.g PdfFile. The YearFolder, has no property it´s only for the structure, and on the PdfFile DocumentType you have a media picker where you can pick a pdf file from the media section.

After that you should be able to make a dropdown that contains all the years, and when the user choose a year then you should output all the children of the year.

Another way could maybe be using the package called AutoFolders http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/autofolders This package auto creates folder structures for new pages. The folder structures can be date based (yyyy -> MM -> dd, yy -> MMM, etc) or alpha character based (a-z). I have tested the package myself and depending on which Umbraco version you are running it could be a options,

If you´re running version 6 or a previous version, and want to try it, I think that you should make a test install on localhost or a development environment to check if the package is working as it should, and no breaking changes.

I don´t know if this is best approach to handle this, but I think that is a possible way to do it.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• sg 33 posts 83 karma points
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 17:17
    sg

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for giving me some ideas to start the implementation. I will look into the package and also your suggested method.

Thanks so much

Shilpi

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft