Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ashley Andersen 45 posts 88 karma points
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 15:36
    Ashley Andersen

Server Permissions and 404 errors

So, we've deployed our site to a dev server and I went to change the CSS in the umbraco interface, and when I clicked to save it said it could not save and to check permissions. So I went to my server and opened up permissions across the whole Default Web Site for IIS IUSRS, Default Web Site and Default App Pool users and now my CSS, images, JS won't load on the front or backend and the /umbraco login page is giving a 404 not found as well, but the files have not moved and are still there.

What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 15:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ashley

How do you reference your css and script files?

And does the network service have sufficient permissions as well? Is it a dedicated server or is the site placed on shared hosting?

/Jan

Jul 02, 2014 @ 15:51
    Ashley Andersen

It's just a typical <link href > and <script src> in the master file. It was working just fine before I changed permissions. I believe it is a dedicated server. I have remote desktop access and set the permissions through IIS Manager on the Default Web Site and had them trickle down through all of the children files. I am kind of new to development and until this project have dealt mostly with PHP (and a Mac person) so Windows permissions are kind of foreign to me. I don't know which user is for what and should have access to what, so I opened up full control to all of the 3 above, and then my site lost all styles/js/images, and Firebug shows 404 errors for login.aspx even though I'm on the frontend home page. 

But if I go to /umbraco/umbraco.aspx or /umbraco/login.aspx backend Umbraco shows up, but again, all images and styles are missing. Are we talking about the NETWORK SERVICE user? I have been reading and thought it was replaced by the ApplicationPoolIdentity (which if I understand correctly is Default Web Site and Default App Pool in this case). We are using Umbraco 6.1.6. I have added and now removed NETWORK SERVICE from permissions because it had not changed anything when giving it full control.

Jul 02, 2014 @ 17:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ashley

I would like to see how you refer it in the code anyway - it may be because you need to just reference the files using an absolute path or using the ~sign like for instance "~/frontend/css/style.css" - But from your description above it's probably a permission issue.

In regards to permissions I guess it depends on the server software being used. I might lack some knowledge about newer server like Microsoft server 2012.

However what I usually do is to add the IUSR and NETWORK SERVICE users to have full access to the Umbraco root folder (The folder containing your Umbraco website) and have them inherit permissions all the way down. Then I'm also running the application pool using the NETWORK SERVICE user.

Could you try doing the above?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Jul 02, 2014 @ 17:36
    Ashley Andersen
    NETWORK SERVICE now has full read/write as well. All users given permission have been trickled down through the file system and this has been verified through the file explorer properties of the folders properties > security panel.
    The references look like such. Also attached is what firebug is showing on the frontend home page.
    <link href="/css/millcentre.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>
    <script src="/scripts/js/millcentre.js" type="text/javascript">

Thanks for always participating and helping out, Jan. It's really appreciated :)
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 18:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ashley

First of all - You're welcome. I hope we can get to the bottom of what's going on - It's so frustrating when things just don't work :)

That looks really weird - Can you access the .css and .js files by going to http://yourdomain.com/css/style.css for instance? Or does that give you a 404 error as well?

/Jan

Jul 02, 2014 @ 18:21
    Ashley Andersen

Hmm, when I try, it redirects to: /login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fcss%2fmillcentre.css which gives a 404.

Jul 02, 2014 @ 18:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Ok...The login page you see...is that the login page of Umbraco?

Perhaps it's a good idea to double check with the manual installation guide if something in the configuration has changed? http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/install-umbraco-manually

Sounds like a configuration issue to me - Don't know if it will help any to do the following

1: Go to the /App_Data/TEMP and delete the "ClientDependency" folder 2: Go to /config/ClientDependency.config file and increment the version attribute 3: Recycle the app pool

Does that help any?

/Jan

Jul 02, 2014 @ 19:03
    Ashley Andersen

The ClientDependency bit gave the same results, but I will take a look through the install configuration and see if I can figure anything out. Thank you.

Jul 02, 2014 @ 23:35
    Ashley Andersen

I haven't resolved this issue yet, but found a similar thread about someone having the same issue. Not sure if some of these people are better educated than I am and may spark an idea of what is happening:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7998932/all-requests-to-umbraco-site-redirect-to-login-page

Jul 02, 2014 @ 23:38
    Ashley Andersen

And 2 seconds later: the resolution: http://tech.pro/tutorial/1531/umbraco-redirecting-all-requests-to-loginaspx. I did not manually change that in this location, so I have no idea how that happened.

Thanks again Jan!

Jul 03, 2014 @ 10:09
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ashley

Glad you got it solved and thanks for sharing. Did not know about this stuff in IIS8 :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft