Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phillip Turner 98 posts 412 karma points
    Jul 23, 2014 @ 19:21
    Phillip Turner

URL Redirection

Good Day Umbracians.

I am about to undertake a redesign of a very large static HTML site. This site has great Search engine standing and I do not want to hurt that.

Can anyone make any suggestions on URL redirection?

Things to consider:

• I will be running either 6.2.x or v7.x, MVC Razor (not decided yet)
    • The webserver running this Umbraco instance also runs 3 other Umbraco instances (mixed versions of 6.x currently).

I know there are many IIS tools but do not know how well they will play with Umbraco. I

Many thanks

Phillip

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Jul 25, 2014 @ 12:20
    David Peck

I'd checkout the Umbraco 301 redirect project. That should allow you to create all the redirects you need but you'll still need rewire each url 1 by 1.

The only smart thing I can think to do would be to create an 404 handler (http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/how-to-implement-your-own-404-handler), so that when a user comes to a page that no longer exists the code does a site wide search for a page that has content most similar to the page name requested and does a redirect to that page. I've no idea though if that would generate accurate links. It might be you can do both approaches (although they may conflict) setting redirects for your most important pages manually and relying on the 404 handler for everything else.

Of course after about 6 months you could disable the 404 handler, as you'd like to think Googlebot would have recrawled your site comprehensively by then.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft