Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dinovo 40 posts 59 karma points
    Nov 25, 2009 @ 00:04
    Dinovo

Best practice: Doc types and content

I have seen a few discussions regarding best practice but have yet to find one to fulfill my needs/thoughts. So here goes nothing. I have 3 things i am trying to figure out how to implement in the best possible way, at the moment.

1) I have worked alot with sitecore (and still do) and i have gotten used to putting general content (news items, available keywords, factboxes etc.) in a folder structure on the homepage level, like;

- Conent
    -- Website Name
    --- Subpage 1
    --- Subpage 2
    --- etc
    --- Common (folder)
    ---- News
    ------ News item 1
    ---- Keywords

How do you guys go about this?

2) This question somewhat is related to the above question. Almost every site i develop uses factboxes (in lack of a better word - usually small content boxes placed in the right side of the site containing small bits of info either relating to the current page or general info). As these needs to both be able to be created on page level (specific for the current page and only shown on that page), there is also a need for boxes that can be selected accross multiple pages, and only maintained one place. Ideas/suggestions?

3) I use a master DocType which contains tabs such as SEO (containing meta keywords and description, urlAlias), Meta (containing umbracoredirect, umbracoInternalredirect, umbracoUrlName and umbracoNaviHide) and Page (containing Header and bode text). I then have a Frontpage below this containing tab Site General (Site name, site description and footer). Last standard DocType is Subpage which is also below the master and contains any site specific items (on many sites it is just empty, but god to have for future reference).
    I am queries as to what other does - i would like to create a package that i can use for each new umbraco install so i am quickly up and running, so it should be so general and wide spread as possible. Are there fields i am missing in this sence?

Looking forward to some feedback :)

• Marius 22 posts 42 karma points
    Nov 25, 2009 @ 08:25
    Marius

Hi,

For the 2) part,

I've made a separate xslt which contains all these available "factboxes" for example "Contact box", "How to find?" etc, they are shown in page depending on boolean value in child page:

<xsl:if test="string($currentPage/data [@alias = 'showContacts']) = '1'">

I put a macro in master template for the right side of the webpage.

Then on each ChildPage made a  boolean property "showContacts" with True/False. Only don't know how to specify default value in umbraco for this.
    If you want to show this block on specific page, you need to set property for "True".

As for 3) part, I think it's right way.

Marius.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft