Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Smith 79 posts 110 karma points
    Sep 05, 2014 @ 18:07
    Matt Smith

media overwrite existing

hi all,

We are using V6.1.6

I have a page(s) with a link to a media document. I need to update that document to show a new version but I don't want to have to edit the page content to rebulld the link.

I can go into that media item individually in the media area, browse to the local copy of the document, ensure it has an identical filename,upload it and save it and that will change the document everywhere it is linked to.

However, if I use the green upload arrow, tick 'overwrite existing', upload the new document (with identical filename) the existing media item is updated, however the ID in the media URL is changed, therefore the link to the document on the page is no longer correct, but does still work - opening the previous version of the document.

This also happens if you check the 'overwrite existing' box when editing the media item individually by selecting it from the tree as above.

is this correct? and if so, surely the 'overwrite existing' checkbox is misleading? as it is effectively creating a new document?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt

Sep 08, 2014 @ 11:16
    Matt Smith

Hi,

with some more testing it seems that this function of bulk overwriting documents, does work as expected from the second tume of trying, whenever a document is overwritten like this, the first time the number in the URL changes, so the links to it all break. But the second and any times after, the overwrite takes place and the ID in the URL stays the same.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Regards,

Matt  

Oct 10, 2014 @ 12:11
    Matt Smith

Hi,

I'm bumping this as it is a pretty large issue for us and be great to get some input, even if that is just to tell me we've misunderstood the functionality.

Thanks,

Matt

Oct 10, 2014 @ 12:11
    Matt Smith

Hi,

I'm bumping this as it is a pretty large issue for us and be great to get some input, even if that is just to tell me we've misunderstood the functionality.

Thanks,

Matt

• Scott Leslie 28 posts 143 karma points
    Apr 21, 2015 @ 10:47
    Scott Leslie

Hi,

we are having this issue in 6.2.5 as well.

If you upload via the "FILE" tab it works, however as you say uploading using the green upload and tick 'overwrite existing' it doesn't overwrite the media item.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft