Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Garrett Fisher 341 posts 496 karma points
    Dec 03, 2009 @ 19:54
    Garrett Fisher

Why doesn't preview always work?

Hi,

I created a simple Doc Type and and XSLT file to list all child subpages of the current page, along with a template and Macro to display them.  If I publish the parent page and its children, the list displays fine, but in preview, the list is empty.  Why could this be?

Thanks,

Garrett

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Dec 03, 2009 @ 21:19
    Kim Andersen

There are some problems with XSLT and the preview-function. In example, it's not possible to preview a content-field wich is rendered through XSLT. And that's a shame. I really hope that it will work in the future.

• Garrett Fisher 341 posts 496 karma points
    Dec 03, 2009 @ 22:10
    Garrett Fisher

Well that's kind of a huge bug, isn't it?  Clients are not happy about having to publish something to See it!

//Garrett

• Nik Wahlberg 639 posts 1237 karma points MVP
    Dec 03, 2009 @ 22:37
    Nik Wahlberg

Not sure if it is a bug or a feature in this case. If you would like to see this functionality or if it is truely a bug, please log in on codeplex.

http://www.codeplex.com/umbraco

Cheers,
    Nik

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Dec 03, 2009 @ 23:04
    Aaron Powell

It's already logged on codeplex.

Without starting a huge argument regarding preview I've always believed that it comes down to a split problem of who should be responsible for it. Is it the responsibility of the developer to have their code work with the different states, or should it be the responsibility of the API you're accessing to have the smarts to know the context of the data required.

I'm of the belief that it should come down to the developer, but with the API providing enough 'hooks' so that you can achieve this. Why do I say this? Well it's because it's very hard to determine all the ways a developer may want to use the API, so it's generally easier to have them handle it the way they need, not the way the API designer believes they'll need it.

But that's just my opinion. As for what's happening with preview in Umbraco, that's something I can't get into, it's out of my hands :)

• Andrea Orimoto 16 posts 34 karma points
    Dec 08, 2009 @ 12:37
    Andrea Orimoto

You might try considering Courier (Umbraco PRO) for this. Basically you would have a completely separate environment in which you could create/publish your stuff and then transfer to your real environment when ready.

We're currently doing it, but I wouldn't say it's an optimal solution, there are many constraints and drawbacks. (anyway, I don't think it's the intended use of Courier) Just a work around if you really really need the preview functionality. It will surely add some maintenance and support time and headache...

I know from the core team that they are looking into it. Don't have any details on timing though.

Let me know if you need more details on my experience with courier. Hope this helps.

Andrea

• Jukka-Pekka Keisala 90 posts 226 karma points
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 18:19
    Jukka-Pekka Keisala

Bump!
    Seems like last post is from August. Is there any update in regards of this issue? Can anyone point out issue number in codeplex on this?

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 18:30
    Jesper Hauge

You're probably looking for: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=16705

But I'll second Slace and Andrea, and say that if your clients is requesting the possibility of previewing not published content, you're probably better of considering some kind of staging environment. After all Umbraco licenses are free right, so you don't have to pay for multiple instances.

Regards
    Jesper Hauge

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 18:54
    Laurence Gillian

This is an issue for us (which we control by not having preview available for our clients).

Its very very rare which we don't load content using XSLT. The reason for this is it means if we need to make changes site wide we can edit say one XSLT file rather rather than 25+ templates!

As I said its not a huge issue at the moment, but it would be nice to see this being fix at some point.

It really comes into play when you are populating forms, so the preview/template needs to have logic on each field, eg. don't display a whole section of a form if there's no data present.

/Lau

• Jukka-Pekka Keisala 90 posts 226 karma points
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 20:07
    Jukka-Pekka Keisala

Good point LaurenceG, perhaps this can be "fixed" by hiding preview on non-published  nodes. 

• Andrew Lansdowne 43 posts 124 karma points
    Apr 21, 2010 @ 18:59
    Andrew Lansdowne

Awesome looks like this is fixed in 4.1 beta 2!

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=16705

Have yet to try it

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft