Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dinovo 40 posts 59 karma points
    Dec 11, 2009 @ 23:59
    Dinovo

Dictonary?

I have created a few dictonary items. I have deleted the default language (English) and installed Danish as the only language (this was done right after installation and before i created the dictonary items).

I am now trying to get those dictonary items from my template with;

<umbraco:Item field="#CategoriesMenuHeader" runat="server"></umbraco:Item>

But it does not return anything (ie. empty string) - am i missing something?

Dec 13, 2009 @ 14:12
    Dinovo

No suggestions?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Dec 13, 2009 @ 17:16
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

Make sure that the Danish language is the default Culture, easiest to do that is assign the domain name + language to the root node of your site. On the root node right click and select the assign domainnames menu item.

Cheers,

Richard

Dec 13, 2009 @ 20:16
    Dinovo

I knew i was missing something with setting the default language, but could not for the life of me remember/figure out where to do it.

Your suggestion, of course, worked like a charm - many thx :-)

• Mattias 52 posts 75 karma points
    Dec 18, 2009 @ 10:58
    Mattias

Similar problem here.

We have a customer site where the customer has 4 domains (4 languages), and our tree consists of 5 nodes (one for each language + english).

Each of the language nodes has a domain and language set to them but not the english, since this should utilize the default language (en).
    But somehow the default language is never referenced when browsing to this node, and the domain language is used instead.
    Our node tree looks like this;

root/
    ..en/ (no domain name)
    ..se/ (domain and swedish language)
    ..dk/ (domain and danish language)
    ..no/ (domain and norwegian language)
    ..fi/ (domain and finish language)

when on our swedish site viewing enlish {domain}.nu/en/home.aspx, danish {domain}.dk/en/home.aspx and so one.
    Default language is set to "en" in our webconfig in our umbraco app settings (as default).

Anyone got ideas ?

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Dec 18, 2009 @ 11:36
    Douglas Robar

I always set a language and domain for all sites, even for the Default/English site. That should resolve any ambiguity and make things work properly.

cheers,
    doug.

• Mattias 52 posts 75 karma points
    Dec 18, 2009 @ 12:04
    Mattias

@Douglas:

Even if we set a domain and a language for (swedish site) {domain}.nu/en/ and map that to english-Us it takes the swedish dictionary.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Dec 18, 2009 @ 12:11
    Douglas Robar

You should choose one approach or the other... either use domains or use the /en or /se folders. I don't recommend using both.

In other words, use a single domain and the culture sub-folders (domain.com/en, domain.com/se, etc.)

Or, use domains only (domain.com, domain.se, etc.)

You will need to set the umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath (in web.config) and the useDomainPrefixes (in /config/umbracoSettings.congif) appropriately for these to work properly. Lots of forum posts about that if you need more info.

cheers,
    doug.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft