Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Efthimios Piperakis 24 posts 44 karma points
    Dec 15, 2009 @ 16:36
    Efthimios Piperakis

Content node with 1000's of pages

I have an important question regarding the backend UI. Let's say I want to build a news site which has been in the net for a while, and I want to migrate 1000 pages under the category node "Politics". What will happen in Umbraco when I click on the parent node to expand it? Will the tree try to display those 1000 pages?

The most practical thing to do could be to display a list on the right panel, with SERVER SIDE paging. Server side paging is important, because I've seen other CMSs (Digimaker.NET) to timeout when trying to retrieve the first 50 pages out of 100.000 list (I know it sounds crazy to have so many pages under a single node, but it's a news site, has been around for years, and wants all historic pages available at any instant)

So how would Umbraco behave under such a scenario?

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Dec 15, 2009 @ 16:52
    dandrayne

Hi There

Yes, a lot of nodes under the same parent will probably cause your browser/the tree to freak out a little.  For this reason some people have made excellent packages to try and deal with this problem - you'll find them at http://our.umbraco.org/projects/tag/autofolder#projectList

There isn't currently a good way to display nodes in a datagrid-style format with paging etc, but I'm sure the potential is there for a package to do just that.

Dan

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Dec 15, 2009 @ 16:54
    Dirk De Grave

It's not a good idea, umbraco's backend will suffer a lot if listing so many nodes under a single node. Some alternatives:

- use AutoFolders when migrating all those pages, so all pages get 'categorized'. Project also allows for custom categorization (requires some coding)

- use a custom section and write your own load function

anyway, you'll also need to think of how to keep the existing url's for seo purposes. Can be done using event handlers and either using umbracoUrlAlias property (which allows for alternative urls) or using umbracoUrlName (changing the url permanently)

As from v4.1, loading of loads of data should be much more performant, but still loading 1000+ pages under a single node is not a good idea from a user's perspective.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Dec 15, 2009 @ 16:58
    Douglas Robar

Agree completely with Dan and Dirk.

If you must go forward with so many pages under one node you might find http://our.umbraco.org/projects/content-maintenance-dashboard-package helpful, though this wasn't the reason Richard built it.

cheers,
    doug.

• Efthimios Piperakis 24 posts 44 karma points
    Dec 17, 2009 @ 12:37
    Efthimios Piperakis

Thanks for the replies.

It appears the most logical thing to do is e.g. create a migration project that automatically creates year and month nodes under each category, while importing the articles from the old db (using Umbraco's API of course).

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Dec 17, 2009 @ 17:59
    Dirk De Grave

xxx (what a user friendly name that is),

you could use project AutoFolders to handle the creation of folders automagically. And also check the umbImport project (requires data to be stored as xml, csv, ...)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft