Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Palle Hansen 143 posts 396 karma points
    Nov 19, 2014 @ 13:41
    Palle Hansen

Forgot admin password umbraco 7.1.7

Hi there,

I've lost my admin password for my developer site.
    I can't find anything that works for resetting the password in the database.

A lot of links is about UmbracoUser tabel, but there isn't any in my installation.

I've also tried to restore the database, but with no luck. Is the password not stored here anymore?

Is there  any body who tried to reset the password in 7.1.+, and how should you do it?

Best regards
    Palle

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 19, 2014 @ 13:47
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Palle

Have you come across this post? http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/4790-ouch-forgot-admin-password-how-to-reset

Have you tried what Chris Larsson mentions in the answer marked as the solution?

/Jan

Nov 19, 2014 @ 13:48
    Jan Skovgaard

...As far as I know nothing in the database structure should have changed btw.

/Jan

Nov 19, 2014 @ 13:59
    Palle Hansen

Hi Jan,
    Yes I have.
    When i try: UPDATE umbracoUser set userdisabled=0, userLogin='admin', userPassword='rem123' where id=0, it gives this back :

Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Invalid object name 'umbracoUser'. 

And in the folder tables it looks like this:

Tables
    - System Tables

There is no tables to see?

Palle

Nov 19, 2014 @ 14:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Palle

What database are you using?

/Jan

• Phill 115 posts 288 karma points
    Nov 19, 2014 @ 15:28
    Phill

Palle,

It sounds like in the MS SQL Query window you have the "master" database selected and not your umbraco database. You're trying to run the query against the wrong db. If you are indeed using MSSQL, then at the top left in the drop down list, change the current database from "master" to your Umbraco DB and then run the script again. Don't forget to update the web.config to change password format from HASH to Clear as well.

Hope that helps.

Phill

Nov 19, 2014 @ 16:10
    Palle Hansen

Hi Jan.

I'm using MSSQL Server 2008R2 

Nov 19, 2014 @ 16:14
    Palle Hansen

Phill.

I'm acually usin the right db. Se image. And as you can see, there is no tables in the Tables folder. And that a bit weird?
    And I've updated web.config from Hashed to clear aswell. 

Palle

Nov 19, 2014 @ 16:18
    Phill

Was hoping it might have been something simple like wrong db selected, happens to me from time to time.

Does the front end of your site still work? That looks like you've not yet gone through the setup process, a completely empty database. If this is a fresh install is it possible that you setup the site using SQL Express? (check App_Data folder for DB file there) If that is indeed you're sites database then it would appear that all tables have been removed. If your site is still working is it possible that you have another db the site is pointing to? Only other thing I can think of is the credentials you're connecting to SQL Mgmt tool with don't have access but that would be odd.

Phill

Nov 19, 2014 @ 16:33
    Palle Hansen

Phill.

The frontend works fine. I'm able to login with the password that I've made ready for my customer.
    My db connection looks like this:
    <add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="Data Source=|DataDirectory|\Umbraco.sdf;Flush Interval=1;" providerName="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" />

And ind App_Data folder the Umbraco.sdf is present.

Should I run the Install proces again?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 19, 2014 @ 17:40
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Palle,

From your connection string that you have posted, I can see that you are using the default SQLCE database, and not a MSSQL server. And you have a Umbraco.sdf file in the /App_Data folder.

If you have the Microsoft Webmatrix installed, try to open up your solution in this, and then you will see a tab in the left corner called databases, then you will get access to the database tables.

You can also use another editor that can read sdf. files. So as I think your site is use the database that you find in the /App_Data folder, and in this I am almost sure that you will find the umbracoUser table.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Nov 19, 2014 @ 17:43
    Phill

What Dennis said :)  

If your intention was to run the site from MS SQL 2008R2 then you have to pay close attention in the inistall process as it's not immediately obvious that the default install uses SQLCE database. You need to click "customize" right away in the install process in order to setup Umbraco on MS SQL Server. 

Phill

Nov 19, 2014 @ 22:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Palle

Yup what the guys said - You're running CE SQL, which is the default unless you customize it to use MSSQL during the installation process :)

So you can use webmatrix (probably also visual studio) to see the tables in the database and run the query in there in order to do the password fix.

Once that is done and you can login again you can use webmatrix to migrate your CE SQL database to run MSSQL. You just need to right click your Umbraco folder and select the "Open in Webmatrix" option in the context menu. Then choose the "Database" tab in the lower left corner. Before migrating make sure to stop the site in Webmatrix and then hit the "Migrate" button.

Of course you need to make sure that the database and a database user has been created on your MSSQL server before doing the migration so you know what details to enter during the migration process.

When the migration is done you of course also need to update your connection string in the web.config file - The format of the connectionstring post migration should look like this <add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="server=srv;database=db;user id=bob;password=xxx" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Hope all of this information from this and the other posts by Phil and Dennis help :)

/Jan

Nov 20, 2014 @ 13:53
    Palle Hansen

Hi guys.

Thanks for all your help. That really helped me out. I got it working.  
    I'll remember to customize during the install process :) 

/Palle

Nov 20, 2014 @ 13:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Palle

Very happy to hear that :) Yes, it seems it can be a bit confusing. Maybe the installer needs another revision so it's more clear that CE SQL is installed by default.

When I start a fresh install I always start out using CE SQL and then migrate at a later point but I always forget to deselect the theme website...Argh! :)

Remember to mark the topic as solved so others can go straight to the solution should they come across the same issue.

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft