Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark 255 posts 612 karma points
    Dec 16, 2014 @ 13:54
    Mark

Backend User Language Issues

We are seeing some strange language related issues in one of our Umbraco 4.7.1.1 sites. I'm using Chrome.

In the backend, one user had the Language set to "German" and wanted it changed to "English (uk)". After doing this, the user still sees the German language dotted around. E.g. when logging out he gets the "Sind Sie Sicher?" message. He also sees german in the section headings (media, content, etc), as well as page titles.

I tested this by logging in with his account and saw the same issues. Now, when I log in as myself (not using his account) I see the "Sind Sie Sicher?" message. Very strange, especially considering my account has always been English (uk).

I have tried clearing out my temporary internet files, but still see the problems. I have even logged in using another browser (IE10), and that too says "Sind Sie Sicher?".

Is there some caching issue on the server side that I'm not aware of?

Dec 17, 2014 @ 14:09
    Mark

Can anyone provide any input on this? Even an explanation as to whether it's possible to clear the cache used by the backend, and if so, how

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 17, 2014 @ 14:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mark

It's a strange issue indeed.

Have you tried logging in from another machine? One that has not been logged into the backoffice before? If not could you give it a shot and report back if you still see the german translation? If not then it might be a cookie/session issue perhaps?

/Jan

Dec 17, 2014 @ 14:20
    Mark

Hi Jan,

I've just tried on another PC. Still says Sind Sie Sicher when I click the Logout button in the backend. So I assume it must be something that has been cached or saved on the server. Any ideas? e.g. is there a backend cache that can be cleared?

Thanks,
    Mark

Dec 17, 2014 @ 14:24
    Mark

I've found that the text "Sind Sie sicher?" is present in one of the DependencyHandler.axd files, which I assume is generated on the server

Dec 17, 2014 @ 21:16
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mark

Hmm, ok - Could you try incrementing the /config/ClientDependency.config files version attribute and see if that helps - Remember to recycle the app pool as well?

If not then try deleteting the temp files in /TEMP/ClientDependency and then increment the version number as mentioned above again - And recycle the app pool once again.

/Jan

Dec 18, 2014 @ 09:44
    Mark

Hi Jan,

I followed your first suggestion (version number increment and app pool recycle), and the language is now correctly displaying for me. I am asking my customer to test from his account, but it certainly looks promising. If there are still problems I will respond back on this post.

Can you tell me what incrementing the ClientDependency.config version does? And what is the difference is between justs incrementing and recycling compared with first deleting the temp files in TEMP/ClientDependency?

Are these the first steps that should be taken to attempt clear backend cache related issues?

Many thanks,
    Mark 

Dec 18, 2014 @ 09:55
    Mark

For anyone interested, I found this link on the ClientDependency versioning: https://github.com/Shazwazza/ClientDependency/wiki/Versioning. Changing the version causes a refresh of the backend cache on the server, as well as causing the client browser cache to refresh. A great bit of knowledge!

Dec 18, 2014 @ 15:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mark

Happy that it solved your issue - Sorry that I was too slow to reply before I could tell you what it did - But hey you figured it out by yourself anyway :)

This is always a neat trick to pull out of the sleeve when things act weird. Was a bit uncertain whether it would work though since it's an old Umbraco version you're using and things have changed quite a bit since that version was released.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft