Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joe Clarke 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 09, 2015 @ 13:00
    Joe Clarke

Apostrophe in member's email address

We have a member who is trying to register on the site using an email address that contains an apostrophe, but Umbraco is showing an 'invalid email' message. There seem to be some discussions on the web as to whether that is a valid email address, but the overwhelming majority of sources show that it is (not to mention the fact that I've exchanged emails with this person so it clearly works). This issue doesn't seem to be limited to Umbraco, as there are similar forum topics for other CMS.

Does anybody know of a way to modify how Umbraco validates email addresses without delving too far into its code? Is this a .Net issue?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Joe

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 09, 2015 @ 13:08
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Joe and welcome to our :)

I think you need to report this issue on the issue tracker here http://issues.umbraco.org/issues

In the mean time you could perhaps work around it by replacing the apostrophe with another character, which is currently valid? And then of course make sure to display it as an apostrophe if it should be displayed on a profile page for instance.

Could that be a possible workaround? Not sure where you would change the regex in the source code unfortunately.

/Jan

• Joe Clarke 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 09, 2015 @ 15:06
    Joe Clarke

Jan,

Thanks for your reply. I'll give that a go, but I guess it needs to be something unique that wouldn't appear in real email addreses, so it can be replaced with the correct apostrophe when it comes to actually using that email.

I'll submit it on the issue tracker.

Joe

• james 37 posts 121 karma points c-trib
    Nov 17, 2015 @ 11:07
    james

Hi Joe, Jan,

Sorry for bumping this thread up - I've just had a client raise this same issue with me. I couldn't find it on the issue tracker - did it get posted on there? If not I'll happily submit it and if I get time work towards a fix.

James

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft