Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Feb 19, 2015 @ 00:05
    Connie DeCinko

Where is Umbraco.Web.Mvc?

I am trying to create a surface controller that my jQuery grid can use to get it's data. All the examples say to reference Umbraco.Web.Mvc yet I do not find this dll anywhere on my system. Where is it? How do I build my project without this reference?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 19, 2015 @ 06:51
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Connie

You need to include a reference to the cms.dll in your project in order to be able to inherit from Umbraco.Web.Mvc.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Feb 19, 2015 @ 16:07
    Connie DeCinko

Thanks Jan, I'll give it a try. But I wonder if I'm chasing something that cannot be done.

I created a new Intranet site just over a year ago with Umbraco 6.1.4. It's set to in the umbracoSettings.config. My master template uses Razor for layout. I have several, what I call, mini-apps in the site, pages that display entries in non-Umbraco tables or admin various Intranet applications that are unrelated to Umbraco. Some of these mini-apps are iframed .aspx pages, some of them are .NET userControls, some of the simpler ones are Razor views while the really old ones are iFramed ColdFusion pages.

I need to update/upgrade the older iFramed pages and integrate them into my Umbraco Intranet site. I really want to some day have everything running MVC, the site in general and any mini-apps within the site. I have no problem creating partial views and assigning them to an Umbraco macro, then drop the macro into a page. One such page is a jQuery datagrid that gets its data via an AJAX call to a .NET webservice. I would like to change this so the data comes from a call to a controller.

I know I can create a SurfaceController to get the routing to work, but I haven't figured out yet if this is going to work if the Intranet site is running in WebForms mode instead of MVC mode.

Thoughts?

Feb 19, 2015 @ 16:12
    Connie DeCinko

Back to my original question...

I have this line in my class... public class OpinionsSurfaceController : Umbraco.Web.Mvc.SurfaceController

and VS is telling me I'm missing the correct using, it cannot find the Umbraco name space. I added the reference to cms.dll but no change. Do I need cms.dll as well as something else? Do I need all the Umbraco dlls in my references?

Feb 19, 2015 @ 17:25
    Connie DeCinko

Found it. Need to reference umbraco.dll

Also, just for grins, changed the umbracoConfig to Mvc and my site still works. But I cannot seem to use my controller as it throws a 404 error when my AJAX call tries to hit it.

Feb 19, 2015 @ 18:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Connie

Aaah, sorry! I just double checked the solution where I checked this earlier today...turns out I messed it up. It was actually the umbraco.dll that I was browsing...not the cms.dll...

My bad - But you managed to figure it out anyway :)

/Jan

Feb 19, 2015 @ 18:15
    Connie DeCinko

Now if I can just figure out why I get a 404 error trying to contact my controller.

I tried various versions of...

"sAjaxSource": "/umbraco/surface/OpinionsSurfaceController/getOpinions",

"sAjaxSource": "/umbraco/surface/Opinions/getOpinions",

"sAjaxSource": "/Opinions/getOpinions",

all give a 404.

Feb 19, 2015 @ 19:58
    Connie DeCinko

Hallelujah! I finally got it to work. Just had to keep trying different variations. I proved I can integrate an MVC mini app in my existing Umbraco installation.

Feb 20, 2015 @ 08:36
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Connie

Sounds good - Do you mind sharing how you got it to work? Others might benefit :)

/Jan

Feb 23, 2015 @ 23:15
    Connie DeCinko

Well, I seem to have run into a snag. I am now trying to add a form to my partial view. Seems I cannot specify the model to go with that form. I need to specify it in the view that calls the partial. Is there a way to do this? perhaps via a property on the macro or ???

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft