Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen Davidson 216 posts 392 karma points
    Feb 23, 2015 @ 16:14
    Stephen Davidson

How to best structure Many to Many

I'm at the "thinking" stage of some additional work to an exisitng Umbraco 6 development which revolves around recruitment seciton being added to the site. My Structure/Doc types will work as follows:

Jobs home
    ------ Company Home ( this level will use Role based authentication)
    ------------ Vancancy
    ------------------ Candidate

This will allow Mutiple companies with multple vancies and in turn multiple Candiidate's. My only issue with this is that each candidiate could potentialy be put forward for more than one vacnacy either within the same company or even another compnay.

I could allow the candiates to be copied from vancancy to vancancy within the UI but room for issues here i feel, if the admin wants to update the candidate details and we have several versions of them dotted around the site.

Is there an easy way to centrally store the candidates and allow them to atatched to Vacancies?

Appreciate any input on to how best to proceed.

S

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 23, 2015 @ 16:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Stephen

I think I would consider the candidates as content elements so you structure your backoffice like this

-- Jobs home -- Company Home -- Vacancy -- Candidates -- Candidate -- Candidate

That way candidates can be picked for many vacancies and vacancies are not limited to only one candidate as I understand your issue.

/Jan

Feb 23, 2015 @ 16:43
    Stephen Davidson

Thanks for the input.

So Company home, Vacancy and Candidates would all be on the same level. With each candidate inside Candidiates. I could then allocate candidates to vacancies via a checklist driven by the Candidates tree?

-- Jobs home
       -- Company Home 
       -- Vacancy 
       -- Candidates
          -- Candidate
          -- Candidate

Feb 23, 2015 @ 16:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Stephen

I would not place the candidates under the home page but at the same level - Forgoet to check my original anwers formatting as I can see it's messed up by the editor unfortunately. I'm thinking the structure should look like this since I see the candidates as content elements - Things that don't need a template unless they have an individual page. Then it makes sense to have the structure you have described above.

Otherwise I suggest it looks like this

-- Jobs Home

-- Company Home

-- Vacancy

-- Candidates

-- Candidate

-- Candidate

/Jan

Feb 23, 2015 @ 16:52
    Stephen Davidson

The candidate would have a template, which contains some CV info and a video CV of the candidate. The candidate IS NOT partiucular to a job, the vacnacy IS particular to the company...if that makes sense.

The one bit I'm not sure about is listing the candidates within the correct vancancy(s).

S

Feb 23, 2015 @ 17:11
    Stephen Davidson

I think i can use this...

https://ucomponents.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=MultiPickerRelations

Thanks for the input...got me thinking ;-)

S

Feb 23, 2015 @ 17:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Stephen

Ok, then the second structure you posted yourself will make better sense indeed.

You're welcome :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft