Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen Davidson 216 posts 392 karma points
    Feb 27, 2015 @ 12:18
    Stephen Davidson

Replicate the karma system

How easy would it to be to replicate the karma system seen in this forum, I'd like to introduce it into a site I've already done and allow users the vote up pages or content. Can this be done out the box?

S

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 27, 2015 @ 14:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Stephen

I'm not quite sure about how easy it is. But it's not something that comes out of the box. However you might be able to find some inspiration in the source code of the forum found here https://github.com/umbraco/OurUmbraco

But perhaps it would be a good idea to simply brake it down into a flowchart before thinking about the code perspective.

Hope these inputs help a bit.

/Jan

• Stephen Davidson 216 posts 392 karma points
    Feb 27, 2015 @ 17:15
    Stephen Davidson

I've pulled the latest verison of "our" code but having a bit of a mare getting it to run locally...however I've had a good look through the code and now understand how the voting works using the uPowers and i can see how I could add what i want to it a utilse the databse...just not sure how i would shoehorn all this into my existing project.

Much to ponder!

S

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 27, 2015 @ 20:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Stephen

Happy to hear you were able to figure out how the stuff works. I don't think you can get it running locally unless there is a SQL dump attached, which can be used when setting it up. None the less you should also be aware that some of the API's used may have been obsoleted or deprecated in newer Umbraco releases so you may need to do things in another way than the code in the current our codebase.

Happy coding!

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft