Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• M4TTHEW 21 posts 61 karma points
    Jan 02, 2010 @ 02:42
    M4TTHEW

temp page?

i have created a standard temp page as index.html and want to have that in place on my server as i build the site in the background, how does one do this with umbraco installed? if umbraco has to be in the root and the temp page has to be in the root what are my options? could i go into IIS and set the only default page to be index.html and then that is all my visitors would see while i could still access umbraco via default.aspx? would that work? any other ideas are appreciated.

(using shared hosting with softsys)

TIA!

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Jan 02, 2010 @ 07:49
    Peter Dijksterhuis

The way you describe will work perfectly.

Check in IIS what the first default page is. There can be multiple, IIS picks up the first available file. If index.html is the first and default.aspx is the second, IIS will serve index.html if it exists.

So, create an index.html, place it in the root of the site. Your visitors will see that page. You still can access umbraco via default.aspx.

If your done with the site in umbraco, simply delete the index.html, IIS will then start serving default.aspx as first page.

HTH,

Peter

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Jan 05, 2010 @ 03:58
    Paul Blair

Peter,

This is exactly what I have been attempting to get working today but with no luck. I'm using IIS7, integrated pipelines and directory URLS. The default document is being ignored and the site is going straight to default.aspx when looking at the root URL.

Any ideas?

Paul

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Jan 05, 2010 @ 22:38
    Paul Blair

OK, the only way I have got this to work is to turn of directory URL's and add a default page to urlrewriting.config i.e.:

<urlrewritingnet defaultPage = "default.html" xmlns="http://www.urlrewriting.net/schemas/config/2006/07" >
      <rewrites>
      </rewrites>
    </urlrewritingnet>

Not ideal but it will have to do for now...

• M4TTHEW 21 posts 61 karma points
    Jan 08, 2010 @ 15:33
    M4TTHEW

thanks for all the info Peter and Paul! ;)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft