Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• BarneyHall 141 posts 210 karma points
    Jan 06, 2010 @ 17:09
    BarneyHall

<Macro: (,)> - macros missing when moving to new environment

Hi, trying to move a production version back to my local dev.

Restored db from a backup of production db and also copied all source files into VWD project.

But when previewing I'm getting <Macro: (,)> where each of my macros should be and all the site's content seems to be missing, even though it's all there in the umbraco.config.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I've not had this problem the other way, i.e. local dev to production, so I'm a bit stumped.

Thanks as ever!

Jan 06, 2010 @ 23:34
    BarneyHall

Having a bit more of a dig around this problem. I think it might be due to going to the production environment being SQL 2008 and my local dev being SQL 2005. I didn't even consider this and was actually unaware of the difference in verisons (what a donut)

Trying to bring the database back to SQL 2005 from production doesn't seem to be possible. Where a restore had gone through ok, content is being screwed up, with some bits randomly carrying through ok, or macros not working due to the content tree dissapearing, which is probably because the older historic versions of the backup were succeeding but not the more recent backups. Working with Doug's recommendation of overwriting existing backup sets (to keep the device file small) reveals that these won't restore on a previous version of SQL and throws an error to do with "RESTORE HEADERONLY is terminating abnormally".

I'm gutted, as I'm only bringing the db back to dev as my client has been making content updates and at some point we're going to have to move this to another live environment, which I'm not sure is SQL 2008!

I'm going to explore this solution using Red Gate Software, but if anyone has any other bright ideas I'd really appreciate them.

I'm quite the novice with SQL SVR in anycase, so I'm going to have to tread carefully in anycase.

Cheers,
    Barney

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Jan 06, 2010 @ 23:53
    Paul Blair

Are you sure you brought back the entire website as well, in particular the XSLT and masterpages directories.

I have had this message before when a XSLT file was missing.

if you think it is more likely a problem with the DB then you could try installing SQL Express 2008 to check...

• anthony hall 222 posts 536 karma points
    Jan 07, 2010 @ 00:01
    anthony hall

yeah i would guess "/xslt/yourfile.xslt" is missing on your server.  I doubt SQL server is the issue. You could just remove the macro and re-add it .

As for RedGate Data & SQL compare, it's one of tools that one your used  for a day you wonder why you didn't purchase it years ago. 

Jan 07, 2010 @ 10:26
    BarneyHall

Thanks for your input chaps.

Yes I checked and everything is there (XSLT etc), even to the point that all the content is in the umbraco.config document.

But the content isn't carrying through to the content tree within the tools - even though there are patches of recent content on the public site? :S

Forcing a re-publish within the UI just over writes the umbraco.config with a plain document and all the content is overwritten and lost.

I think it has to be an issue with the db, specifically trying to go from SQL 2008 to 2005, so yeah I'm going to check by installing a virtualisation of SQL 2008 locally.

Cheers,
    Barney

• anthony hall 222 posts 536 karma points
    Jan 07, 2010 @ 11:13
    anthony hall

you could use VPN to access your remote database form your locate site and see if works, ie find out for sure that SQL server is the source of the issue. Also maybe re-download the whole of your live site. Maybe something in umbraco_client could be causing this. 

Jan 07, 2010 @ 19:16
    BarneyHall

That was a great idea for debugging. Nice one Anthony.

So I connected my local dev to the remote db and the site works as it ought to.

Seems the problem is definitely with the db. I can now have a go with RedGate Compare...

Cheers for your help,
    Barney

Jan 08, 2010 @ 12:05
    BarneyHall

Just to wrap this up - and now go do something more productive! :)

Where I had moved a dev site to a production environment, I wanted to bring the site back to my local dev.

Problem was I hadn't realised I'd moved from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 (duh). Restoring a SQL 2008 db in SQL 2005 wasn't throwing any clear exceptions as the backup contained older db sets. BUT these exceptions were revealed when restoring from a backup of JUST the current database set.

SQL 2005 can't restore a SQL 2008 db, which is probably amusingly obvious to some of you guys :)

Anyhow, I didn't actually want to have to change my local dev SQL 2005.

The RedGate SQL Data Compare product (which has a 14 day free trial) was able to syncronise the content of the SQL 2008 onto my SQL 2005 db. I will certainly be purchasing a license for sure.

So problem solved. I can now carry on with new dev work locally without worrying about the dbs not being backwards compatible.

Cheers,
    Barney

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft