Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• smercer 39 posts 67 karma points
    Jan 14, 2010 @ 15:43
    smercer

Umbraco Documentation for End-Users (Writers, Editors, etc) - Want to help?

I have noticed that there is a large gap in documentation for end users of umbraco driven web sites. I would like to remedy this issue by starting a new section in the wiki devoted to this matter. I envision this to be the place that Umbraco developers can send their clients to for reference purposes.

I took a stab at doing this using video clips (view here), but I think that in the long run we need something that can change over time, and that is more amenable to change by the entire umbraco community.

So, is there anybody out there who would like to collaborate on this undertaking?

My initial thoughts are to keep it generic, and present it in a way that is not implementation specific, perhaps using CWS for examples.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jan 14, 2010 @ 16:08
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

Before you start, did you find this document already? I send that document to all my clients...

Cheers,

Richard

• Bram Groenen 7 posts 27 karma points
    Jan 14, 2010 @ 16:45
    Bram Groenen

Hi,

I've also noticed my clients struggling to find good resources for end users online. Recently I started offering them the manual Richard came up with. Though most are enthusiastic, there is still room for some improvement. I would like to offer my translating skills if necessary, making your document available for Dutch users.

Good luck if your still going to write your own manual.

@bramgroenen

Jan 14, 2010 @ 17:10
    smercer

Richard - That's a great document...pretty much exactly what I am looking for. I have searched both this website and google and have not come accross this one. Is Paul Marden on this forum?

Jan 14, 2010 @ 17:18
    smercer

After reviewing this document some more, I'd like to add sections to explain the various context menu options within the content tree.

• Tom 50 posts 100 karma points
    Jan 14, 2010 @ 20:11
    Tom

Maybe it's a good ideo to grab this document as starting point and tune it further. Next step could be to translate this document to various languages because most customers like documentation in their own language.

Jan 14, 2010 @ 20:16
    smercer

I sent a tweet out to the original author in hopes that he'll share the source document with me. With his permission, I would like to port it into the wiki and then continue work on it there. The doc is a good start, and I would like to write up descriptions of the context menu options in the next edition.

Also, I'd like to see some more tinyMCE info in there as well. Hopefully we can get this thing jump started.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jan 14, 2010 @ 20:21
    Dirk De Grave

Great initiative! +1. As Richard points out, orcare's document is a great start.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Paul Marden 235 posts 338 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jan 14, 2010 @ 21:56
    Paul Marden

Guy's - I'm glad the document has been well received.  While I'm hugely keen to contribute to the community as best I can, I'm uncomfortable with my original work on the Admin guide being absorbed into the documentation wiki at the moment.

Having said that I'm happy to collaborate with others to update and republish the document, and I'm also happy to collaborate on translations of the it.  If anyone want's to discuss further off forum then feel free to email me at pmarden [a]t orcare [d]ot com.

P

• Paul Marden 235 posts 338 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jan 14, 2010 @ 21:57
    Paul Marden

BTW forgot to mention that I've done hand written edits to produce a version 1.1 but just haven't had the time to type them up yet.

Jan 22, 2010 @ 22:06
    smercer

I got very busy this week getting our latest umbraco deployment launched, but I am still planning to work on this. I believe that I am going to start a new document from scratch with the plan to transition it into the wiki once I get the framework laid out. Stay tuned.

• Sam 47 posts 153 karma points
    Jul 03, 2012 @ 19:20
    Sam

Is this document still available? Link is broken.

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Jul 03, 2012 @ 21:33
    Funka!

Not sure where the original link may have gone, but somewhat related (not sure if actually related, i.e., the same thing or a derivative work) is an Editors Manual in the Our Umbraco projects section, which is a very helpful start. It is also conveniently published in over a dozen different languages. Here's the link to the project page : http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/editors-manual

Good luck!

• Adam Marzi 7 posts 27 karma points
    Aug 19, 2012 @ 18:16
    Adam Marzi

Richard - that link is no longer available.  Can you repost?  

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft