Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew Burgess 14 posts 73 karma points
    May 05, 2015 @ 18:20
    Andrew Burgess

Rich Text Editor not showing (Loading...)

I've been running with Umbraco for about 8 months now and have an issue that has been bugging me a bunch.

The Rich Text Editors seem to be very, very flakey. At times they don't load at all and I need to refresh the page multiple times. Other times they will simply render as a text box or will not render at all, leaving some 'Loading...' text behind. This is incredibly frustrating and we're getting to the point where we want to hand over the keys to users outside of the business, but the RTE's not loading is going to cause a load of issues.

We're on version 7.2.4 and if I open up the console when I'm in the back office I'll get the following errors:

Here is what tends to render. All of the section should be RTEs.

Anyone have a clue? There are certain places in the back office where I never see an RTE anymore and there is no way I can go live with this untill there is a solution.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 05, 2015 @ 20:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andrew

That's odd - I have heard about others having these kind of issues and have seen them myself in older installations but usually it has been due to some missing files when deploying between environments - Locally it has only happened if the files needed for the RTE has been ignored in our .gitignore file for some weird reason.

I have never experienced it happening on a fresh installation on my own local machine so I don't think it's necessarily a bug but something that happens because of other events like deploying, source control, missing permissions to read the needed files etc.

So in your case - Does it happen locally? And are you the only person working on the project or a you using git or mercurial? Or is it happening on a staging or production server? How are you doing deploys? And have you double checked that it's not a permission issue for some reason?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

May 06, 2015 @ 12:09
    Andrew Burgess

Hi Jan,

This is happening on a local installation of Umbraco which started off as version 7.1.3 and was recently updated to the latest stable version. This issue occured in both versions. As far as permissions go I've even tried heavy handed things like all permissions to the 'Everyone' account across the entire project and I'm still have the same issue.

We have multiple people working on the project, but to try and solve this I have taken my own copy of the project to work on, and still all the symptoms are occuring.

What permissions would you suggest I get in place?

Cheers

Andy

May 06, 2015 @ 12:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andy

Ok in that case I doubt it's permission related - Then I think it's more likely that some files are missing for some reason.

With the local copy outside of your version control I think that you should try and download the version of Umbraco 7 you're using and then overwrite the /umbraco and umbraco_client folders and afterwards make sure to clear the browser cache as well as bumping the Umbraco cache by going to the /config/ClientDependency.config file and increase the version number and then recycle the application pool - But perhaps you should wait with clearing the cache and see if copying over the files makes it work. If not then try the cache steps.

I hope this makes sense.

/Jan

May 06, 2015 @ 12:55
    Andrew Burgess

Hi Jan,

So I've just created a completely fresh install of Umbraco 7.2.4. After that I added my existing connection strings to the web config, added in my dlls for user-controls / masterpages with code behinds. Manually readded plugins that I'm using (SEO checker, Archetype and Contour) and recycled the app pool, bumped the version number and cleared all my caches etc, and even on a completly fresh installation I'm still getting the same issues.

There seems to just be 1 error in the console now to do with Macro rendering. Could that be related?

May 06, 2015 @ 12:59
    Andrew Burgess

Oh, and the issue has slightly changed now. I haven't yet seen 'Loading...' but a lot of the RTEs are just rendering as textboxes.

May 06, 2015 @ 13:15
    Andrew Burgess

Ok, it seems the 'Loading...' is also back now. I'm at a bit of a loss.

May 06, 2015 @ 15:12
    Andrew Burgess

Ok - So I think I've gotten somewhere.

First of all, your advice seemed to cure a few problems as I was getting fewer console errors after the fresh install. But after that, what I had somewhere was a messed up macro inside of a RTE, and that macro seemed to break every other editor being loaded after the editor that it was sat in. I deleted the macro and all of the editors loaded perfectly.

I imagine somewhere the code got messed up manually and it caused some issues.

May 07, 2015 @ 14:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andrew

Sorry about the late reply - But seems like you managed to get your issues solved at the end?

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft