Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• manwood 87 posts 109 karma points
    Jan 16, 2010 @ 16:07
    manwood

Free templates / skins for Umbraco ..

Hi

I am completely new to Umbraco, I have done a search so apologies if this has been asked many times before.

Can anyone point me to some sites or sources of free templates or skins for Umbraco?

I have seen the few listed here and the four at freeumbracotemplates.com - are there any others?

Thanks

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jan 16, 2010 @ 16:24
    Dirk De Grave

Nope, as umbraco does not restrict you in any ways on how the site will look like (opposed to the other open source cms's that more or less "force" you to use skins/template layouts/whatever they called it...)

Seriously, any layout is possible, just as with plain old asp.net (in fact, umbraco uses .net masterpages for templating purposes)

Cheers,

/Dirk

Jan 16, 2010 @ 16:35
    manwood

Thanks Dirk.

So just so I understand, I can use any css layout in a standard master page?

Can you recommend a good introductory tutorial? I am experienced with C#/ASP.NET.

Thanks

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jan 16, 2010 @ 16:47
    Rich Green

You can use any CSS, any javascript and layout you like as if you were coding in straight c# asp.net.

I'd recommend Umbraco.tv though it is a subscription, try it for a month it'll be money very well spent!

I like you (like most here) came from .net, what's great is that you can still use c# usercontrols if you ever need to inline with the Umbraco functionality.

R

Jan 16, 2010 @ 16:48
    Rich Green

and yes, Umbraco uses standard master pages

Jan 16, 2010 @ 16:49
    Rich Green

Sorry, wish I could edit these posts!

I highly recommend installing Umbraco and then installing "Creative Website Starter" http://our.umbraco.org/projects/creative-website-starter-(cws)

This is a great little demo site that can help to understand how umbraco works.

R

Jan 16, 2010 @ 16:55
    manwood

Thanks Rich, appreciate the advice.

Given all of the above, does Umbraco support the code behind coding model? Can I use AJAX and web/page methods?

Jan 16, 2010 @ 17:39
    Rich Green

Yep, anything you can do with .NET you can do with Umbraco, either using .NET Usercontrols or using Umbraco's functionality.

Jan 16, 2010 @ 18:44
    manwood

Sounds good!

• rasb 162 posts 218 karma points
    Jan 17, 2010 @ 11:12
    rasb

Hi Manwood,

Just to illustrate how easy it is to use .NET web user controls and code behind. Here is my process when I create web user controls.

1. Create web project and user control, referencing the Umbraco binaries if user information or page information is needed.

2. Upload control (ascx) to /usercontrols folder (organize in subfolders if you want to), and upload binaries to /bin folder.

3. Create macro by simply choosing the usercontrol from dropdown.

4. Include macro on page by choosing the macro from dropdown in Template Editor.

5. Browse to page to see result.
    So no need to manually register to user control or edit configuration files. It is VERY easy, and the user controls can containcode behind, properties, interact with membership controls, interact with the page, and even create new content nodes if you want them to that. You also have the option of debugging the user controls in Visual Studio by attaching the debugger to the Umbraco instance. This is extremely powerful.
    Most tasks though are fully doable by using Xslt macros. The Xslt macros can also contain C# code if needed, and the best part of it is that the templates are just .NET master pages. So if you have ever worked with them, then you are way ahead in the game.

But best of all... this community is second to none in supporting any issue you might have. It is a goldmine!

/RasB

• rasb 162 posts 218 karma points
    Jan 17, 2010 @ 11:23
    rasb

Oh and by the way... I have actually purchased WordPress themes that I really liked, and ported them to Umbraco. It is surprisingly easy, and I have managed to do it with only using Xslt macros.

So if you can get your hands on any theme, and get the Html source for that theme, then using that in Umbraco is really easy.

/RasB

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 432 posts 1691 karma points
    Dec 18, 2014 @ 13:21
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

A new service from uSkinned provides Umbraco Themes/Starter Kits, prefessionally designed and intergrated fully with the Umbraco CMS. There are a few theme designs available at the moment with more soon to follow.

Cheers,

Marc

• Mizanur Rahman 3 posts 72 karma points
    Jun 26, 2016 @ 06:25
    Mizanur Rahman

You can add html template in your layout page for new screen

• Mitesh Solanki 2 posts 71 karma points
    Sep 23, 2017 @ 06:51
    Mitesh Solanki

Hello. If you are interested in Umbraco platform, you can search it out for "Constro- Construction Umbraco Business Theme". It would definitely help your business to grow.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft