Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chad 65 posts 129 karma points c-trib
    Feb 01, 2010 @ 07:13
    Chad

Public Access? I'm stumped

OK, so I've a node that I want protected, so I right click -> public access -> single user protection and fill out the appropriate fields. Assuming I don't run into this bug (http://umbraco.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=21981) which crops up from time to time, that seems to work fine.

Now what? I assume I have to build some type of form that posts to some page? I've search all over these forums, the old one, umbraco.tv, google / bing.. I can't find anything.

How do I actually make the login forms?!

• Stephan Lonntorp 195 posts 212 karma points
    Feb 01, 2010 @ 07:52
    Stephan Lonntorp

You can implement standard asp.net logincontrols, as they will hook into the membership provider in Umbraco. However, with this approach, I suggest granting permission to a member group instead of a single username/password.

I believe there's a package in the repository called member Controls, that contain this functionality, if you don't know how to roll your own.

• Chad 65 posts 129 karma points c-trib
    Feb 01, 2010 @ 09:52
    Chad

Ok, so I create a member group, assign public access to that group on that node, slap a .net login control (although I'd rather not use their controls - any other options here?!) and then that's it? It will just work?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Feb 01, 2010 @ 09:59
    Richard Soeteman

HI Chad,

Yes that's all you need to do to make this to work. Please not that you can modify the layout of the ASP.Net user controls. Check out this Post from Sebastiaan

Cheers,

Richard 

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Feb 01, 2010 @ 10:38
    Paul Blair

You could use the osmemberControls package which does most of the work for you.

I have written a wiki page on how I implemented it: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/using-the-osmembercontrols-%28v01-code-set-39984%29

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Feb 01, 2010 @ 20:15
    Chris Koiak

It may be worth having a look at the ClientArea package. This is an attempt to show how membership permissions and login controls can be created using pure xslt.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft