Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Christian Foged 37 posts 58 karma points
    Feb 02, 2010 @ 22:06
    Christian Foged

Member login

Hi to all of you.

I'm currently having some problems making a login section, with the MemberControls package, provided in the package repository section. When I try to add it to templates / pages etc - nothing really happens... It's lie the form elements are not being generated... 

Any suggestions how to resolve the problem, or alternatives?

What I need is a simple login/logout function for pages/sections with limited public access, using the built in Umbraco access control. For this the description of the MemberControls package sounded perfect.

I'm using Umbraco 4.0.3

BTW: I'm only level 1 certified, I'm not a programmer - so making custom usercontrols etc is not an option. Also why Umbraco is perfect for me - being able to custom build websites wtih HTML, CSS and a bit of XSLT knowledge, without programming skills is great.

Feb 02, 2010 @ 22:09
    Christian Foged

Forgot to mention, that I of course use the Member section to control logins, and that access should be controlled on Member Group level. :o)

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Feb 02, 2010 @ 22:10
    Dan

Sounds like an obvious place to start, but I know that package doesn't give you <form runat="server"> tags around the form elements.  Are your input boxes inside a form?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 02, 2010 @ 22:53
    Jan Skovgaard

You can try and place this ASP.NET control in your login template: <asp:Login ID="Login1" runat="server"></asp:Login>

It should provide you with all the functionality you need if I have understood your question correctly.

/Jan

Feb 02, 2010 @ 23:26
    Christian Foged

Thank's for the input - they both helped in the understanding...

After some evil hair pulling, I  got it working. It turned out, that it's not possible to add a member to the Login group I had specified. In chrome it just doesn't save the group - so it seems that it actually workes most of the time, it was just a bug in the Chrome UI. Bugger.

After I edited it in IE8 instead, it worked instantly.... It turned out, I didn't have to add a form element after all.

Next step - figuring out, how to hide restricted nodes.

Feb 02, 2010 @ 23:30
    Christian Foged

@Jan

Great tip with the ASP.NET control! Any more tips how to configure it, log out, password reminder, shov login name etc?

/Christian

Feb 02, 2010 @ 23:32
    Jan Skovgaard

I can imagine how frustrating that must be! Glad to hear you got it all working now.

Try exploring the XSLT extensions in umbraco.library - I'm specifically thinking about "HasAccess". Happy coding.

/Jan

Feb 02, 2010 @ 23:47
    Christian Foged

Thank's for the tip, I'll try that.

Oh BTW @Dan - your tip with the Form also helped, when I had to move the login box.

Feb 02, 2010 @ 23:55
    Jan Skovgaard

Just realised I missed your previous post asking for more tips on configuring the other things.

You could try and experiment with these:

<asp:ChangePassword ID="ChangePassword1" runat="server"></asp:ChangePassword>
    <asp:LoginStatus ID="LoginStatus1" runat="server" />
    <asp:LoginName ID="LoginName1" runat="server" />

They are all a part of the toolbox in Visual Studio so if you by any chance have a version of it installed on your machine I suggest that you open it up and look at the different attributes that can be set on them.

More usefull information can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178329.aspx

Hope it's enough to get you started.

/Jan

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Feb 03, 2010 @ 03:06
    Paul Blair

You could use the osmemberControls package which does most of the work for you. It uses the controls mentioned above by Jan and integrates member groups with the role provider so you can also edit profile and register new users.

I have written a wiki page on how I implemented it: our.umbraco.org/.../using-the-osmembercontrols-(v01-code-set-39984)

Feb 03, 2010 @ 11:00
    Christian Foged

Hi Paul - I was looking at osmemberControls, but hadn't seen you wiki about it. It seems perfect, and covers everything I need - thank you so much, I will definitely try and go with that!

...3 fast responses (and all relevant), really show why the Umbraco community rocks! Thank's guys :D 

/Christian

• Lincoln Vu 8 posts 29 karma points
    Apr 20, 2012 @ 16:07
    Lincoln Vu

Hi Christian,

I bumped into what I think you got into a year ago. I need to create a log in section on the site for users so that they can access restricted pages. Could you please post the steps and code that you take to make it work? That'd be really helpful (I hope you still remember how it's fixed after all that time).

Thank you,

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft