Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ravi 11 posts 31 karma points
    Feb 05, 2010 @ 03:10
    Ravi

How do I add a color picker/font selector in the RichTextEditor?

Either I am missing something, or Umbraco is really rudimentary. I need to customize the TinyMCE such that the end user can select any one of several fonts or colors. And no, I do not want to create styles for every color and font! Is there a way to do this?

ps: I checked out the True Color picker but how do I add it to in the TinyMCE?

• Ravi 11 posts 31 karma points
    Feb 05, 2010 @ 03:25
    Ravi

The latest version of TinyMCE (http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/examples/full.php) has so many more features that the one in Umbraco. Is there any way I can upgrade my version of TinyMCE?

• Josh 9 posts 29 karma points
    Aug 26, 2010 @ 16:04
    Josh

I second this question.

I've searched around in the forums and don't see anything right off hand. I've played with the config/tinyMceConfig.conf to no avail.

I would love to give users the ability to pick fonts, change color...etc.  Any umbraco / tinymce experts out there?

• Craig100 1136 posts 2522 karma points c-trib
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 23:33
    Craig100

I've just given a new client a 121 tutorial on Umbraco for her new site. She was very disappointed she couldn't change text colour in the Rich Text Editor. I'm fairly new to Umbraco so was a bit put out as I hadn't noticed it was missing.  Is there a solution to add it to the RTE other than producing pre-planned styles for her?

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 01:10
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Craig

I see it as a positive that a colour picker isn't available within the RTE.

From past experience people with no real web knowledge can be like a kid in a candy store when it comes to maintaining content. They create all sorts of coloured text, different font sizes, underline text (bad bad bad), italicise stuff, etc, etc, etc. 

So in reality (for the majority of content management) providing fewer options can actually be a good thing - it will most likely lead to a better maintained, more professional looking and more consistently presented site.

Having said that, have you considered the styles option within the RTE to provide controlled styling for your client. You can setup styles with specific colours, font-sizes, etc. This way you are at least ensuring consistency across the entire site.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Nigel 

• Craig100 1136 posts 2522 karma points c-trib
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 02:07
    Craig100

Hi Nigel.

I appreciate your points, but this is a professional publisher that understands the points you make and would like the freedom to do what she wishes. So I don't really understand why it isn't an option to be switched in or out like all the other RTE options. I agree, I wouldn't give this control to some clients for fear of them making a mess, but not all clients are the same. It's the freedom to choose that's key here.

Cheers,

Craig

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 02:52
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Craig

It is often a pleasure to work with a client who has good web oriented knowledge - I cam make life so much easier.

I agree freedom of choice is key.

With the core Umbraco product being under such heavy development it would be nice to see the RTE also upgraded.

Cheers
    Nigel 

• Josh 9 posts 29 karma points
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 02:58
    Josh

Good discussion, but I'm gonna weigh in here too :-)

I solved exactly what you are tying to do.

Simply put, I scrapped the Richtext Editor and made my own using a Telerik Control. It's called Rad Editor

http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/editor/examples/default/defaultcs.aspx

I created a new data type and shoe-horned this bad boy in. Works like a charm with no issues.

If you need detailed instructions on how I did it just ask. I'll look back through my old projects and give you a hand.

-Josh

• Bruce Clark 56 posts 80 karma points
    Oct 22, 2012 @ 23:48
    Bruce Clark

For those looking to simply enable it — this blog post should be really helpful (http://blunderings.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/using-the-tinymce-color-picker-in-umbraco/).

The gist is this: 

Update ~/config/tinyMceConfig.config with the following: 

<command>
          <umbracoAlias>mceForeColor</umbracoAlias>
          <icon>images/editor/forecolor.gif</icon>
          <tinyMceCommand value="" userInterface="true" frontendCommand="forecolor">forecolor</tinyMceCommand>
          <priority>25</priority>
        </command>

Then turn on the checkbox in the dataType settings in: Developer > DataTypes > RichText Editor

• Bruce Clark 56 posts 80 karma points
    Oct 22, 2012 @ 23:53
    Bruce Clark

Also, a follow up to this, if you want this to apply to headings you'll need to make sure headings can be updated with the "style" tag, and not just classes. This can be done in the same file – ~/config/tinyMceConfig.config 

<validElements>
       <![CDATA[
    -h1[id|dir|class|align|style],-h2[id|dir|class|align|style],-h3[id|dir|class|align|style],-h4[id|dir|class|align|style],-h5[id|dir|class|align|style],-h6[id|style|dir|class|align|style]
    ...]]>
    </validElements>
  • Emma Garland 41 posts 123 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jul 31, 2014 @ 18:21
    Emma Garland

For Umbraco 7, please see this post http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/49556-TinyMCE-and-forecolor-(text-color-picker)

You have to also add this to the <plugins> section:

<plugin loadOnFrontend="true">textcolor</plugin>

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft