Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• atze187 160 posts 215 karma points
    Feb 10, 2010 @ 09:10
    atze187

Translation tools

In the Translation workflow video on umbraco.tv there is unspecfic reference to "translation tools" used by translation agencies that could be used to keep the translators from struggeling with the raw xml files. Can anyone name such tools that have proven to work well with the umbraco xml files?

Cheers,
    André

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Feb 10, 2010 @ 09:32
    Rik Helsen

Personally i'm, not famliliar with any (and one of our clients is a large translation company), they use a custom platform where people upload documents in many formats (word, excel, pdf, ...)

possibly you could try and open them in Excel, but i doubt this is very practical. isn't there a way to have then work directly in the cms ? I'd personally look for a solution in this direction.

Feb 10, 2010 @ 09:48
    Rik Helsen

This is how word opens the xml files, although there are html tags, it does seem managable:

http://www.photo9.be/bd/word.jpg

Feb 10, 2010 @ 10:42
    atze187

Right, an Umbraco-based solution would be nice but our translator (he is actually not a translator, only a native speaker and technically unexperienced) is more common with desktop applications. Maybe one could hook into the umbraco translation workflow and customize it, so translators simply edit the pages using the umbraco interface. I think we will give this a try when we finished our other umbraco extensions.

Feb 10, 2010 @ 11:28
    Rik Helsen

Yeah, an embedded system would be nice

Also associating different pages that are eachothers translation would be interesting, but difficult to implement...

I create subsites for each language with browser language detection so users get forwarded to their language instead of using vintage splash screens, then create subpages in each language independantly. umbraco isn't aware of any association between the "same" page in each language, so i'd have to copy all the new content that was created in one language, to all others and then send it for translation.

If I make changes to 30 pages throughout my site in Dutch, ideally, umbraco should be able to notify translators that these pages where updated (with a changeset) and changes have to occur to the associated pages in the other x languages...

This is however a bit utopic, as even the large players like microsoft don't succeed in getting this right in Sharepoint ;)

• Verlic 1 post 21 karma points
    Feb 15, 2010 @ 19:05
    Verlic

As I know from html tutorials you can place the code

< script language="JavaScript1.2" src= " http://www.altavista.com/static/scripts/translate_engl.js" >< / script >

on your site to provide real-time translation

This uses altavista translator to translate your pages on the fly.

Feb 17, 2010 @ 20:28
    atze187

As we have a highly skilled translator, who already translates our technical documentation, this is not an option.

Feb 17, 2010 @ 20:29
    atze187

But if you don't have a translator, this might be interesting. Don't wanted to sound offensive.

• Paul Topping 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 01, 2013 @ 18:14
    Paul Topping

My company is evaluating Web CMSs and one of our main interests is in being able to create a multilingual website. All I've been able to find about translation in Umbraco is a video that I have to pay to view. First, I don't want a video I want a written feature description and documentation. Second, I don't want to pay anything just to evaluate a product by reading about it. If this is all there is, we can reject Umbraco right now.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft