Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Owain Williams 480 posts 1412 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 09:35
    Owain Williams

Admin login not displaying

Hi, I posted a page successfully last week on my site, logged out and didn't think anything else about it. Now, when I go to mysite.com/umbraco I just get a white screen and a load of error messages in the console.

Any ideas on what might have caused this and how I can fix it.

I've asked my hosting company to also have a look to see if anything changed on the server over the last week.

enter image description here

• Samira 113 posts 452 karma points
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 10:56
    Samira

HI

May be password format issue. Basically things to check are whether your passwords are being held in plain text in the database or whether they're hashed, then check whether your web.config file contains passwordFormat="Hashed" in the membership settings. If the passwords in the database are hashed then you'll need to include passwordFormat="Hashed" in your membership settings, if not, passwordFormat="Hashed" can be removed from your web.config.

I know it's been dealt with before here but I can't find any specific posts.

Hope this helps...

Grazitti

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 11:11
    Steve Morgan

Try accessing it in a different browser.. I have a vague recollection of a cache issue that does this.

Nov 02, 2015 @ 11:26
    Owain Williams

I've tried different browsers, different PC's, even from different locations :)

Nov 02, 2015 @ 11:31
    Steve Morgan

Do you have the 301 URL tracker package installed?

I had something similar once where it went a bit crazy and tried to add a redirect for */umbraco https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/50407-Login-failed-for-user-in-Umbraco-7

I just trunced the table and it worked again...

Nov 02, 2015 @ 11:40
    Owain Williams

Nope. Don't have the URL tracker installed.

I've just cleared the Client Dependancy cache and also incremented the version number and still no luck.

Think it could be an issue with lazyload.js - maybe.

Nov 02, 2015 @ 11:43
    Owain Williams

Lots of issues in the console

enter image description here

Nov 02, 2015 @ 11:44
    Steve Morgan

Hmm then I'm running out of ideas.

Does the front end still work? Is it running from SQL Server / CE? Can you log into the DB?

Check the following:

Nov 02, 2015 @ 11:50
    Owain Williams

Front end works fine. All sections of the site work for a visitor.

It's very strange that it's broken without me touching anything.

I can't check the permissions but I can ask the support team to check. Is there a list of permissions all folders should have sometwhere for V7?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 12:31
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Owain,

You can find the list of permissions for all folders and files here https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Server-Setup/permissions

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Nov 02, 2015 @ 13:07
    Owain Williams

Thanks Dennis, I've asked my hosting provider to check the permissions. Hoping that is the reason for the blank screen.

Nov 02, 2015 @ 14:29
    Owain Williams

well, all the permissions have been double checked and they are all fine.

So I'm back to square one, trying to find out what is causing the issue.

Any other suggestions?

Nov 02, 2015 @ 14:34
    Steve Morgan

What version of Umbraco are you running? Are you using SQL Server (have you checked the connection string?). Is there anything in the App_data/logs that might help?

Nov 02, 2015 @ 14:55
    Owain Williams

7.3.1 on SQL Express 2014. It's been running without any problems for a while. I'm just wondering if it's a failed login issue, but I can't access my DB until I get back home later tonight to check the tables.

Nov 02, 2015 @ 16:00
    Steve Morgan

Anything in the file logs?

The front end can stay up using the umbraco.config xml cache... you still might be missing Umbraco files or it could be a DB issue. I'd still check all the Umbraco files and DLLs are present.

Nov 03, 2015 @ 11:08
    Owain Williams

I've had a look in the log files and got this:

2015-11-03 10:47:08,109 [6] ERROR Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - [P9144/T1/D2] An unhandled exception occurred
    System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: source
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.Count[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
       at ASP._Page_Views_Partials_umbLatestBlogWidget_cshtml.Execute() in e:\virtualservers\sdndcjzl\www.mydomain.me\wwwroot\Views\Partials\umbLatestBlogWidget.cshtml:line 33

Line 33 is

if (userLanguages.Count() > 0)

within a foreach

@foreach (var post in blogArchive.Children.OrderByDescending(b => b.GetPropertyValue("publishedDate")).Take(3))
                {

var userLanguages = Request.UserLanguages;
                    CultureInfo ci;
                    if (userLanguages.Count() > 0)
                    {
                        try
                        {
                            ci = new CultureInfo(userLanguages[0]);
                        }
                        catch (CultureNotFoundException)
                        {
                            ci = CultureInfo.InvariantCulture;
                        }
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        ci = CultureInfo.InvariantCulture;
                    }

Nov 04, 2015 @ 16:07
    Owain Williams

Still unable to get in to the admin panel.

Can anyone suggest what might have gone wrong with this partial view? I can provide a link to the site if it helps.

Nov 04, 2015 @ 17:36
    Steve Morgan

Is that the last error in the log just after you try to log in? It looks more front end to me.

Have you checked the files in Umbraco and the dlls are there?

I'd check back further in the log - I think you might have a red herring there but .... Test it - back up that partial and replace it with a blank empty partial. See if you can get past that error it?!

I take it you have Articulate installed based on that partial name?

Nov 04, 2015 @ 17:37
    Steve Morgan

Hmm .. actually I've found a forum post with someone who's backend went screwy..

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/articulate/discussions/57696-Adding-multiple-Articulate-root-nodes-crashes-my-site

Back up then try Shannon's advice (second from bottom post).

Nov 04, 2015 @ 19:21
    Owain Williams

Hi Steve, Thanks, I tried the suggestion but still nothing. I looked in the log files as well and there is nothing getting flagged up in the logs when I try and access the admin dashboard.

It's all a bit frustrating! One day it works, the next it's like this.

Also cleared out the partial and you are right, its a false positive. Still no access to the login screen.

Nov 06, 2015 @ 09:46
    Owain Williams

UPDATE: I've now replaced the bin folder, the javascript lib folder and incremented the client dependency version and I'm still locked out from the site with a white screen for the admin login.

What would happen if I downloaded a fresh version of Umbraco and went through the upgrade procedure, would that fix any missing file issues that might be causing the site not to work?

Would I lose any data? Obviously I'll take a backup of the current database but just wanted to check.

Nov 06, 2015 @ 10:07
    Steve Morgan

Owain - have you tried downloading the site and a copy of the SQL DB first. See if it runs locally - then you can rule out missing files and focus on an environmental issue?

Other than that - your suggestion should just start the upgrade process (be sure to merge your config settings though - especially your SQL db conn string).

Nov 06, 2015 @ 11:43
    Owain Williams

Interestingly, trying to get it working on my local environment, I'm getting a DB error -

Umbraco cannot start. A connection string is configured but the Umbraco cannot connect to the database.

Nov 06, 2015 @ 13:30
    Owain Williams

Well, just to keep anyone else up to date with this, I've now got the local copy throwing a more detailed error message.

Invalid object name 'cmsContentType'.

No idea what that means but I'll keep on digging :)

Nov 06, 2015 @ 14:30
    Steve Morgan

cmsContentType is the name a DB table in the SQL DB.

Is it missing? I'd suspect it's more likely it Umbraco just can't connect to the DB and that's the first exception thrown.

Take your DB connection string from your web.config (which I'm assuming you've changed to be the local details.. you'll have needed to have created a local copy of the DB as your live DB server is likely firewalled to not accept remote connections) and use them to connect via the SQL tools to test them.

Nov 06, 2015 @ 14:32
    Steve Morgan

More and more it sounds like the issue with your live site are the DB connection details.

Check your web.config - around line 52 you'll see something like this:

<add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="server=STEVE-SQL\SQLEXPRESS;database=UmbracoV7_3;user id=sa;password=YOURPASSWORD" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Nov 06, 2015 @ 21:13
    Owain Williams

Cheers for your continued help Steve.

I've now got the site running on my local dev environment and I get a login screen but when I put in my credentials I just get a white screen and then a couple of seconds later get the login page again and a message saying my session has timed out.

Going to search the forum to see if anyone else has had similar issues.

Nov 08, 2015 @ 16:44
    Owain Williams

The above issue was with IE and cookies. After clearing them on my local environment I can now log in to the backoffice on my localhost but after restoring the DB and files to the live server I'm still locked out of my site.

Raised another ticket with the support team at my hosting company to find out what might be causing this.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Nov 08, 2015 @ 18:48
    Nicholas Westby

Have you tried restoring everything in the "Umbraco" and "Umbraco_Client" folders? Perhaps some files got deleted (this happened to me once due to some faulty hardware).

Note that you'd have to delete a few folders under "App_Data/TEMP/", restart the application pool, and clear your browser cache to see that take effect.

Nov 08, 2015 @ 22:25
    Owain Williams

I took a complete backup, restored it on my local environment, got it all up and running and then put it back on the live server and still I can't access the backoffice.

Getting close to just deleting the site and uploading it all again from scratch.

Nov 08, 2015 @ 22:27
    Nicholas Westby

Have you tried visiting the URL of one of the resources that is producing a 404 not found message in your console to see if it can be accessed from your browser?

Nov 08, 2015 @ 22:37
    Owain Williams

Deleted the App_Data/Temp folder and now getting

"Umbraco cannot start. A connection string is configured but the Umbraco cannot connect to the database." Error.

At least it's an error now!

Nov 08, 2015 @ 22:48
    Nicholas Westby

That error indicates the web server can't connect to the database server. This could be due to a number of things. Some possibilities:

• The credentials are incorrect. Try connecting from your local computer to that database using the specified credentials (in the web.config connection string).
    • The firewall is not allowing the web server to connect to the database server. Allow both servers to access each other.
    • Remote connections have been disabled. SQL Server allows you to configure if remote connections can occur, so try changing that setting.
    • Mixed mode authentication has been disabled. If so, enabled mixed mode authentication in SQL Server.
    Nov 11, 2015 @ 08:59
    Owain Williams

Thanks for everyone's help during this issue. It turns out that the hosting company had installed a new security tool which was blocking the admin panel. They changed the config and I'm now back up and running.

Frustrating to find this out after 2 weeks of questions, backups, restores, edits and deletions!

• Yoni 49 posts 118 karma points
    Dec 02, 2015 @ 14:32
    Yoni

Just a note. I had a similar blank white screen for my backend. My culprit was that I had enabled trace in my web.config. I removed it and it works fine.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft