Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Jan 11, 2016 @ 09:37
    Paul Griffiths

Member Group Name reverting back after updating the name

Hi All,

I’m experiencing a very weird problem with member groups reverting back to their original names after I have updated them. When naming a member group in the Umbraco back office I specified a comma as part of the name e.g. Abdij Sion, Deventer which resulted in the following YSOD error when trying to view member’s properties in the member section of the Back Office.

enter image description here

After some reading in the OUR forum I found that specifying commas in the member group will cause this type of error. With this in mind I updated the member group name so that it did NOT include a comma e.g. Abdij Sion Deventer and when I checked a member in the back office there was no longer a YSOD and the member properties were being displayed just fine.

I thought this would be the end of the issue, however the member group name keeps automatically reverting to the old name (which includes the comma e.g. Abdij Sion, Deventer) and therefore persistently keeps showing the YSOD error message when trying to view members.

Has anyone experienced this issue and if so what did you do to ensure member group names do not revert.

I am using Umbraco v 4.6.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.4868.28542)

Many thanks Paul

Jan 12, 2016 @ 19:21
    Paul Griffiths

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any help for me with this one? Ive been searching for information over the last day or so and cant find out what could be causing this issue.

Many thansk

Paul

Jan 17, 2016 @ 09:58
    Paul Griffiths

Hi all,

I finally got to the bottom of this issue and it was application specific.

There was a process that was creating new member groups based on a value inserted by the user into a property on an event page. It was this value that contained a comma and causing the YSOD error in the member section because umbraco does not support commas in the member group name.

Although selecting the member group in the Backoffice and manually removing the commas temporarily removed the error the system was recreating the member group based on the value that was defined in the event page property.

I'm not quite sure what was causing it to be recreated, maybe this is an umbraco thing and it's updating the member groups based on what's stored in the xml?

Anyway problem solved

Many thanks Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft