Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alex 18 posts 38 karma points
    Feb 25, 2010 @ 18:02
    Alex

Entire Website Vanished...

I have had this twice now... The first time i looked at it as a unique accident that was probably my fault. An hour later and it happens again... The ENTIRE content of my site vanishes. No errors, no warnings. NOTHING in the deleted section. Very worrying.

Can anyone explain this? Or shed some light on where the site could be?

I am testing this as a potential CMS for a fairly big client of ours, if this ever happened to them there would be a lot for me to answer to...

Thanks

• Seth Niemuth 275 posts 397 karma points
    Feb 25, 2010 @ 18:06
    Seth Niemuth

Hmmmm....sounds strange. Is there anything in either the umbraco logs (go into the umbraco database and look at the umbracoLog table) as in if there is a record of deletion or something in the system logs (event viewer)? are the nodes still in the database?

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Feb 25, 2010 @ 18:16
    dandrayne

Did you have umbsearch2 installed?  A previous version had a "very scary problem"

It caught me too, but thank god for nightly backups!

Dan

• Nik Wahlberg 639 posts 1237 karma points MVP
    Feb 25, 2010 @ 18:21
    Nik Wahlberg

Hi, do you still have your umbraco.config in the data folder? If so, you should be able to restore from there using UmbImport package..

THanks,
    nik

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Feb 25, 2010 @ 20:37
    Richard Soeteman

HI,

Sorry to hear the data loss. I  think that Dan is right about the install of UmbSearch2. Just wanted to let you know that UmbImport isn't capable (YET) to import the Config. file

Cheers,

Richard

Feb 25, 2010 @ 22:43
    Alex

A thought did occur to me... I may have deleted the Document Type of the containing folder in order to tidy up the document types...

Could this be responsible? If so i think that is a little harsh! I had no warning or anything...

And i have not installed any search packages or anything like that.

Cheers guys

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Feb 25, 2010 @ 22:54
    Aaron Powell

I don't think that deleting document types will delete the content (just break it), but I could be wrong.

Is the content actually gone (as someone suggested, do you have an umbraco.config file)? Have you checked in the database. It's possible that the tree is just not rendering, which can be a symptom of some broken JavaScript.

Feb 25, 2010 @ 23:02
    Alex

Yeah, i guess that is quite possible... it may be that when the Document type was changed it broke the tree somehow. I will have to look when i am at work tomorrow.

Can you tell me exactly what i am looking for - in either/both the config and Database?

Cheers!

Feb 25, 2010 @ 23:08
    Alex

Oh, another thing that i have just remembered. I was getting the 'This node does not exist' error on the pages that were previously working after the data loss, which would suggest complete data loss!

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 00:08
    Lee Kelleher

From my experience, deleting a document type does delete the content (that uses doc-type).  I can't say for sure if it deletes it from the database - but it's removed from the content tree.  That would explain it in Alex's case.  Not sure what you can do about it (sorry) - do at slace suggested, check the database and if umbraco.config is still there.

Places to check...

In the database, try "umbracoNodes" or "cmsDocument" (for page titles), and "cmsPropertyData" for the content.

The filesystem XML cache is found at /data/umbraco.config ... it should have a whole bunch of <node> elements in there.

Good luck, hopefully you can salvage some content?

Cheers, Lee.

PS. You know, thinking about it... does anyone think it's possible to "re-create" doc-type in the database - lets say if you knew the Guid, etc?

Feb 26, 2010 @ 10:34
    Alex

This is what is in the .config -

<!DOCTYPE umbraco[ <!ELEMENT nodes ANY>  <!ELEMENT node ANY>  <!ATTLIST node id ID #REQUIRED> ]>
    <root id="-1" />

Nothing!

And although i am not sure exactly what im looking for in the Database, i did not see anything that looked like data.

Luckily, this is still in the testing phase. I am going to recreate the possible actions i took and see if the tree is lost again.

Should this be reported in any way?

Thanks guys, for all your help.

Alex

Feb 26, 2010 @ 10:50
    Alex

I have just performed a test creating a blank documenttype and using it at the base of my site. Then creating documents within that.

As i deleted the document type, the entire tree was lost.

I tried recreating the same document type to reinstate the lost data (if it was hidden somewhere in the database!), But it did not work.

Alex

Feb 26, 2010 @ 10:52
    Alex

I have just performed a test creating a blank documenttype and using it at the base of my site. Then creating documents within that.

As i deleted the document type, the entire tree was lost.

I tried recreating the same document type to reinstate the lost data (if it was hidden somewhere in the database!), But it did not work.

Alex

Feb 26, 2010 @ 11:22
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Alex,

I thought as much... I had a quick look at the source (using Reflector) and can confirm when you delete a doc-type, it will delete all associated content nodes. (ref: "umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.DeleteFromType").

So unfortunately all your content (of that doc-type) is gone.

Going forward, to stop this happening - you can write some code to hook into the "DocumentType.BeforeDelete" event and cancel the delete action.

Here's an example:

using System;
    using umbraco.BusinessLogic;
    using umbraco.cms.businesslogic;
    using umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web;

namespace Bodenko.Umbraco.ApplicationEvents
    {
        public class PreventDocumentTypeDelete : ApplicationBase
        {
            public PreventDocumentTypeDelete()
            {
                DocumentType.BeforeDelete += new DocumentType.DeleteEventHandler(DocumentType_BeforeDelete);
            }

void DocumentType_BeforeDelete(DocumentType sender, DeleteEventArgs e)
            {
                e.Cancel = true;
            }
        }
    }

Feel free to copy-n-paste it and put it in your App_Code. (Do test it out on a dev environment first - don't put straight on your live site!!) But remember this means that you can't delete any doc-types (ever!)

Cheers, Lee.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 11:34
    Douglas Robar

@Lee - this is an awesome idea! We've all done this at one time or another.

If there were a bit more logic in it to see if the docType has any content nodes associated with it that would be the most useful... that way you could delete unused docTypes but not those in use. Throwing up a modal window with a message explaining why the delete didn't work would probably be good too (and log to the db).

This ought to be part of the core I think! Can you add it as a feature request in codeplex, please?

cheers,
    doug.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 11:56
    Jeroen Breuer

I think this has been added to codeplex several times. At least it was once described as a bug and in some situations I can understand that. Hope it get's added in 4.1!

Feb 26, 2010 @ 12:13
    Lee Kelleher

Quick update to the code/script:

namespace Bodenko.Umbraco.ApplicationEvents
    {
        using System;
        using umbraco.BusinessLogic;
        using umbraco.cms.businesslogic;
        using umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web;

public class PreventDocumentTypeDelete : ApplicationBase
        {
            public PreventDocumentTypeDelete()
            {
                DocumentType.BeforeDelete += new DocumentType.DeleteEventHandler(DocumentType_BeforeDelete);
            }

void DocumentType_BeforeDelete(DocumentType sender, DeleteEventArgs e)
            {
                User user = User.GetCurrent();
                String userAlias = user.UserType.Alias.ToUpper();

// check that the user isn't an Administrator
                if (userAlias != "ADMINISTRATOR" && userAlias != "ADMIN")
                {
                    // check if the document-type has any content associated
                    if (Content.getContentOfContentType(sender).Length > 0)
                    {
                        e.Cancel = true;

throw new ArgumentException("Can't delete a Document Type that still has content associated with it. Please delete all content references first!");
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

This now checks the user's type/role.  If it's not an Administrator (or Admin) then it checks if the doc-type has any content associated with it - if so it cancels the delete and throws an exception.

At present, I don't know how to communicate back to the Umbraco back-office to display a "speechBubble" message - actually I don't think we can because the user (delete) action is raised from the context menu, rather than a page, (unlike the 'save' button).

I'm sure Niels and the core team have thought about this in the past.  Not sure how much business logic they would want to be introduced to deleting doc-types?  Personally I'm quite happy with the "Are you sure?" alert/confirm message.  Although it does need to be very clear that this will delete any associated content!

Cheers, Lee.

• Nik Wahlberg 639 posts 1237 karma points MVP
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:27
    Nik Wahlberg

I love this! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing this Lee. 

-- Nik

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Mar 04, 2010 @ 08:09
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

Has anyone also had this problem with datatypes? I once deleted a datatype which resulted into an exception on all document types who used this datatype and because of that all the content nodes of this document type also threw an exception. Just like the DocumentType.BeforeDelete event this should also be done for datatypes. Is there even an event for that?

Jeroen

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Mar 04, 2010 @ 09:19
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Jeroen,

No event for that. This can be prevented in the core by adding a few checks when opening the document. Please vote for this issue on codeplex. It's still Low Prio. IMHO it should be high. A work around can be found on my blog.

Cheers,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft