Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Feb 14, 2016 @ 19:50
    Craig100

Spurious dataTypes 7.4

At my wits end with datatypes and RTE's in the new 7.4 UI. Everytime I add property in a DocType I seem to end up with a new dataType in the dataTypes list. It's almost unmanageable.

I added an RTE and set it's configuration, aware that at the top it says that all other RTE instances would receive this new configuration. So I thought that meant that because I hadn't created a specific RTE to choose (like you used to) all RTE's would therefore have this new config.

So I continued adding RTE's to pages. However, I noted that each one had to be configured again. Looking at the dataTypes list there's LOADS of them now. Also loads of textboxes, etc. etc. It's a bit of a mess and is going to take some time to sort out.

Is there some description somewhere of what's supposed to happen here so we don't spend hours going round in circles? I may have missed it somewhere and I apologies if I have.

Thanks,

Craig

Feb 14, 2016 @ 20:19
    Craig100

So to help any other bewildered devs out there. I just went round all the solutions docTypes and replaced all the RTE's. In the property editor of the first one, I made sure the name of it was RTE - Main, then went round all the rest and instead of selecting RTE (because that would mean I'd be creating a whole new RTE DataType!) I typed "main" into the search and selected the RTE - Main I'd previously set (and automatically saved). I then went into the DataType list and deleted all the spurious RTE's that I'd inadvertently created.

Unfortunately, I looks like I'm going to have to do that now with all the TextBoxes, TextAreas, etc. etc. I mean, how many different types of text box do you need? Unless I've missed something fundamental here, it seems like a waste of effort to do have to do this. It's nice to have the option, but you always did, when you wanted it, not forced on you.

As for the new UI, good first effort. I'm enjoying using it, but it contains a few unpleasant surprises that need looking at.

For instance, the new dataTypes I've had to create will now be an extra click away in the "Reuse" section of the dataType selection panel. If I just use the ones presented in the first panel, I'll get an unwanted extra datatype.

I'd be interested in other's opinions.

Thanks.

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Feb 14, 2016 @ 20:21
    Stefan Kip

You can also use the 'Richtext editor', which is a built-in datatype using the RTE :-)

Feb 14, 2016 @ 20:27
    Craig100

That's what I was doing but I end up with loads of RTE datatypes.

For instance, I just added a "test" property to the "About" docType. I added a TextArea editor from the list presented in the panel. That got automatically named "About - test - Textarea" and when I did a submit and save and save again, I now have a new dataType in the Developer DataType list called "About - test - Textarea". I just wanted an "ordinary" text area.

Am I doing something wrong somewhere?

P.S. Issue raised to cover http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-7959

Feb 14, 2016 @ 21:01
    Craig100

Unfortunately HQ closed the issue within 5 mins of posting, thanks for your consideration. Anyway here's a helpful suggestion......

The first panel that is presented to the user is called "Available Editors" and next to it is one called "Reuse". If you select an editor from the "Reuse" section then a new DataType isn't created. So, I would suggest bringing up the list of "Reusable Editors" first, and having the next tab called "Configurable Editors" to make it clear what's going on and to prevent the inadvertent creation of unwanted DataTypes. It would also mean you'd have one less click to put a normal editor in the property.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft