Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pete K 317 posts 56 karma points
    Mar 09, 2016 @ 19:34
    Pete K

Very strange behavior after moving old site

I apologize for the vague title but this is hard to summarize. Last week we moved an old Umbraco 4.0.2.1 site from a Windows Server 2003 / IIS 6.0 platform to Server 2014 / IIS 8.5. We moved tow other sites with no issues, and we thought this one was fine until someone started trying to edit pages. It is exhibiting a range of strange behavior including:

• Existing pages don't retain their edits upon saving & publishing. The updated version loads in the UI but is not served via http, except for the preview version. Occasionally, the edit will display the first time the page is loaded, then disappear upon refresh
    • New pages work fine the first time they are published. Upon successive saves/publishes, they fail to render at all in the site; a 404 page renders and on the Link to document area of the Properties tab, the url does not show the true path but the site root instead. Nevertheless, the real site root and all the other untouched pages still render as expected.
    • Nothing in the log table reflects anything unusual, except for the 404s.

I have tried deleting umbraco.config, republishing the entire site, and restarting both the site and the app pool in IIS. I double-checked permissions and verified that the app pool identity has write permission to the usual folders. It seems like a permissions issue but I even ran a batch file that I've used successfully before to assign permissions, makuing sure to change the app pool identity as appropriate.

I'm at a total loss. Any ideas, or suggestions on some other things to try?

• Pete K 317 posts 56 karma points
    Mar 09, 2016 @ 19:49
    Pete K

Never mind! It was a lack of write permission on the data folder after all. When I looked at the site structure, I realized what I had done. I went looking for the app_data folder and there was none and then it hit me that this version uses the old data folder, which was not referenced in my batch file. Once I added the permissions to that fold, everything was back to humming along. Boy do I feel foolish.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft