Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Roger Hughes 55 posts 88 karma points
    Mar 03, 2010 @ 12:39
    Roger Hughes

Backend global styling

Hi all,

I would like to style the backend system in Umbraco. Textareas, positions colours etc.

Is there a global stylesheet that I can add or amend to do this?

so far just to amend the style of a textarea is a complete ball ache!

I am grateful for any help

Thanks

Rog

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Mar 03, 2010 @ 12:54
    Dirk De Grave

I don't think you can/may do this without a pro license (should be confirmed by umbraco hq)? 

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Mar 03, 2010 @ 12:55
    Douglas Robar

Hi, Roger,

I'm no expert in how to style the umbraco UI so I can't answer that part of your question. I would mention, however, that the UI though free is not licensed to allow modification. If you do want to modify the umbraco UI you'd need to purchase a Pro license that specifically grants you rights to do so. Though this is generally for people who want to re-brand umbraco I think it would be true of any changes to the UI given the licensing... but Niels or someone at umbraco corp could confirm or clarify that.

cheers,
    doug.

Mar 03, 2010 @ 12:56
    Roger Hughes

Maybe im not clear. Im not trying to change the Umbraco look or trying to white label the system.
    Its the layout of the form elements in the content area. They are very scruffy and never line up with the standard install. Unless Im doing something wrong! 

Every site I have built in Umbraco always has this disjointed form layout in the backend. Its a shame because everything else is really good.

Rog

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Mar 03, 2010 @ 13:00
    dandrayne

Best thing to do is just open firebug and see what's what. There are quite a lot of individual stylesheets holding things together.

Having done quite a bit of work with the backend ui, I have one quote for you

abandon hope all ye who enter here

Good luck!
    Dan

Mar 03, 2010 @ 13:16
    Roger Hughes

Really? cant be that bad Dan? I hope not. The layout of the form elements in content area is very poor in comparison to the quality of Umbraco

Rog

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Mar 03, 2010 @ 13:52
    dandrayne

No it's not that bad, it's just a case of trial and error and Firebug is invaluable here.

What might be useful is creating a new stylesheet and including it after the other sheets, allowing you to easily apply your styles after any update.

One thing to note:  afaik removing any umbraco branding is against the license, but I think colours/layout etc are fair game (i think!)

Dan

Mar 03, 2010 @ 15:35
    Roger Hughes

Absolutely. I have no intention of cloaking the system at all. I think Umbraco is excellent and the guys are doing a great job. Its just the layout of that damn content area that is the weak link!

I'll use a bespoke stylesheet for the form elements and see how I get on.

Rog 

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 03, 2010 @ 16:57
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Roger, I'm curious when you say "disjointed form layout" ... any chance of a screengrab, so we can see if it's standard Umbraco layout - or if you're missing a stylesheet?

One of things that bugged me for ages is the RichText editor not having a label, made the forms look - as you say a little disjointed.  But if you go into the RichText Editor data-type, you can enable to display the label.

Cheers, Lee.

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Mar 03, 2010 @ 23:32
    bob baty-barr

the easiest way to get things to line up [when using a richtext editor] is to go into the developer || dataTypes and make sure the box in the config for the rich text editor datatype is checked for 'show label' -- that will bump the field over to the right and line that up with other elements. You can also specify the width and height of the RTE in this same are.

hope that helps a bit.

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Mar 03, 2010 @ 23:32
    bob baty-barr

doh, sorry Lee... i missed your refrence to the show label... my bad.

• dillorscroft 198 posts 192 karma points
    Mar 04, 2010 @ 00:29
    dillorscroft

I did exactly the same Bob although my post just disappeared in to the aether. Wonder if this post will succeed?

• dillorscroft 198 posts 192 karma points
    Mar 04, 2010 @ 00:29
    dillorscroft

Yep.  Worked this time.  Very weird.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft