Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Mar 19, 2010 @ 11:15
    Rik Helsen

Is there a way to check what is causing the backend to respond in more than 30 seconds?

We've created a load balanced farm for an umbraco site, and the backend is extremely slow, is there a way to trace what is causing the long load times that you can think of?

Thanks,

Rik

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Mar 19, 2010 @ 12:41
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Rik

Did you check the UmbracoLog table in the database?

Cheers,

Richard

Mar 19, 2010 @ 13:08
    Rik Helsen

I can spot some of these errors:

Error
    removing node from umbraco index: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException:
    Could not find file
    '\\brain52\WebSharedCont\Farm01\www.desingel.be\data\_systemUmbracoIndexDontDelete\_3gn.fnm'.
    File
    name:
    '\\brain52\WebSharedCont\Farm01\www.desingel.be\data\_systemUmbracoIndexDontDelete\_3gn.fnm'

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String
    maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess
    access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32
    bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String
    msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess
    access, FileShare share)
    at Lucene.Net.Store.FSIndexInput.Descriptor..ctor(FSIndexInput
    enclosingInstance, FileInfo file, FileAccess mode)
    at Lucene.Net.Store.FSIndexInput..ctor(FileInfo path)
    at Lucene.Net.Store.FSDirectory.OpenInput(String name)
    at Lucene.Net.Index.FieldInfos..ctor(Directory d, String name)
    at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentReader.Initialize(SegmentInfo si)
    at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentReader.Get(Directory dir, SegmentInfo si,
    SegmentInfos sis, Boolean closeDir, Boolean ownDir)
    at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexReader.AnonymousClassWith.DoBody()
    at Lucene.Net.Store.Lock.With.Run()
    at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexReader.Open(Directory directory, Boolean
    closeDirectory)
    at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexReader.Open(String path)
    at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.index.Indexer.RemoveNode(Int32 Id)'

The server is a load balanced server with a sharedcontent folder, sql is on a different server on the same fysical machine (vmware), plenty of memory and disk space

Mar 19, 2010 @ 13:12
    Rik Helsen

I deleted all the files in the systemUmbracoIndexDontDelete folder and recreated the index using /umbraco/reindex.aspx

So far there isn't much difference

Mar 19, 2010 @ 13:19
    Rik Helsen

is it normal that all the files in this folder keep changing / being deleted ? i thought it was some sort of cache but the files never stay the same?

• Thom 13 posts 31 karma points
    Mar 19, 2010 @ 16:13
    Thom

not wanting to hijack the thread but I have a couple of installs that have recently become desperately slow on the back end. Public site performance is pretty good.

I am struggling to find the reason, some pages are taking up to 30 seconds to load. Firebug points at huge wait times for editContent.aspx.  An example is here. Eek! Really appreciate any pointers on where to start looking. Macros? User Controls? System related? I noticed in SQL profiler that there are a lot of DB calls as the page loads (~2000) although DB is indexed well and performance looks OK. Certainly shouldn't cause a 20+ second hold up.

Have run /umbraco/reindex.aspx.

In the logs I get repeated "Error reading size data from media (not found): /media/..." errors being raised. There was content uploaded via Zip Uploader. I tried manually resaving each image (about 100 of them in folders nested up to three levels) but that hasn't stopped the errors. Could this be holding things up?

Any performance tips really welcome as feeling a bit lost getting to the bottom of this...

Mar 19, 2010 @ 16:16
    Rik Helsen

Thom: are you also using a loadbalanced server?

• Seth Niemuth 275 posts 397 karma points
    Mar 19, 2010 @ 16:23
    Seth Niemuth

Thom, is it only on the content nodes? Once had a client who added about 100 styles into the style dropdown menu, and it caused the editContent page to load extremely slowly or timeout. That was in version 3 though, it may be able to handle that many now.

Mar 19, 2010 @ 16:35
    Thom

Quick responses!

no load balancing. Setup is Windows 2008 Standard SP2. IIS7. SQL Server 2008 Enterprise (clustered). All on same LAN. Web server is Dual Xeon, 4GB memory, 32 bit. No sign of performance issues on web server or sql server.

We have no styles defined in the RTE.

Site has around 80 content nodes.

Media library performance seems pretty snappy.

I was thinking that this is going to be something really stupid that we've added in XSLT or a user control but even a node without any of those it's running slow. Very frustrating, my users are starting to get restless ;-)

Mar 19, 2010 @ 16:39
    Thom

About to make a copy of the site and will start removing third party data types and see if one of those is the cause...

Mar 22, 2010 @ 10:13
    Rik Helsen

in my case we have a site that is lightening fast on a localhost with local Db, but then incredibly slow (backend) when we migrated it tot he loadbalanced productionserver...

Mar 22, 2010 @ 10:55
    Thom

As mentioned, we're not loadbalanced on the webserver but I just got the offending site up and running on my workstation, using local SQL Server and those editContent.aspx calls are taking ~2 seconds rather than 20. Something wrong with production webserver or SQL Server, just need to figure out what.

Not really what I wanted to be doing with my Monday morning, going to be so relieved when I figure this out ;-)

Mar 24, 2010 @ 16:27
    Thom

We moved the affected sites to a newly built webserver in the end and the issue went away. Would have been good to have found the cause but needs must and had to get things running before the revolt started among our users.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft