Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nam Gi VU 26 posts 47 karma points
    Apr 05, 2010 @ 05:29
    Nam Gi VU

How to change the default displayed page?

I have installed Umbraco and accessed the website through http://localhost. To manipulate the content, I browse to http://localhost//umbraco/umbraco.aspx. What I need to do is to change to started page when open my website using http://localhost.

Please help.

• Dany Wu 81 posts 114 karma points
    Apr 05, 2010 @ 06:33
    Dany Wu

It somewhat depends on the structure of your content. Basically the first node below "Content" is the one displayed by default. One option you can do is to sort the nodes and place the desired one as the first node below Content. If you're automatically generate navigation menu based on nodes on that level it will change the menu. The other option is to create a redirect (umbracoRedirect or umbracoInternalRedirectId) from the first node to another one.

Hope that helps...

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 05, 2010 @ 09:11
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Absolutely correct Danny. There's another scenario as well. Say you have multiple sites within one Umbraco install, like so:

Content
     - Some random node
     - Site example 1
      - Home 1
      - Contact
     - Site example 2
      - Home 2
      - Contact

You would have set the hostnames on example 1 and example 2. In this case, IIS would send the visitor to Umbraco, then Umbraco will see the hostname and match it to one of the sites. Then either Home 1 or Home 2 will be loaded. "Some random node" will only load if Umbraco can't find the hostname on any of the nodes.

Apr 05, 2010 @ 09:49
    Nam Gi VU

@Dany Wu: I got your idea and wanna know how can we set the redirect using umbracoRedirect or umbracoInternalRedirectId as you mentioned?

@Sebastiaan Janssen: How can we set the hostname for the website "Site example 1" (and 2)?

Hope to hear from you two!

Nam.

Apr 05, 2010 @ 10:07
    Sebastiaan Janssen

About the redirects, check out this blog post.

If you right click on a node you can choose "set hostname" in the menu that you get. I don't suppose you'll be needing this yet though.

Apr 07, 2010 @ 06:51
    Nam Gi VU

@Sebastiaan Janssen: In your blog post, you mentioned about creating a RedirectFolder document type but it was not explained clear enough to me :(. Would you explain more about the RedirectFodler 's template?

Apr 07, 2010 @ 08:22
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Oh it's just a document type that I like to create first, all of the content will go under that. I usually also put some settings in there that I need throughout my site.

So my site structure is like this:

Content
     - mywebsite.com
      - Home
      - About
      - Contact

The node "mywebsite.com" has a document type that is called RedirectFolder (the post is a bit old, I would call it "Site Settings" now) and it has the property umbracoInternalRedirectId on it.

Apr 08, 2010 @ 06:23
    Nam Gi VU

Hi Janssen, I understand.

I also googled and found this Redirecting nodes - Misc - umbraco Forum. I've tried and it works.

So in conclusion, to change the default displayed page of umbraco cms system, we need to:

1. create a node 'Default page' of a document type named 'Site settings', which has a property whose type is 'content picker' and alias is 'umbracoRedirect'.

2. put this 'Default page' node at the first child node of Content

3. republish the content.

That's it. Thanks all of you for your kind support.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft