Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Todd Coleman 7 posts 71 karma points
    May 03, 2010 @ 21:22
    Todd Coleman

Writer Able to Change Page Name?

I am new to working with Umbraco and I am trying to set up a templated site system.  Each site will be identical to and inherit from a parent site template.  Next I am adding users as writers to their individual sites.  However, I do not want them to be able to change the name of all the pages on their sites.  I have named each page specifically and the writers shouldn't be able to change them.  When I log in with a writer account and click a page where they should only be writing, I can access the "Properties" tab and can change the page name, template, and even update the Publish date range.  The only thing I cannot do is Publish, which is correct as I don't want them to do that either.

Am I missing something?  How can I create accounts for users that I don't want to be accessing the more advanced properties in the "Properties" tab?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 03, 2010 @ 21:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Todd

Maybe this package is what you need to achieve your goal http://our.umbraco.org/projects/axendo-disabled-properties ?

/Jan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 03, 2010 @ 21:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi again

Just tried out the suggested package and it won't do the trick for you out of the box. I actually don't think that it's possible to hide/disable the umbraco properties such as page name etc.

However I think you can make a workaround using the mentioned package by making a custom property for your page name and use the value of that property in your XSLT instead. Then with the Axendo package you can disable the user access to your custom page name property.

I know this is not ideal but maybe you can use it? - I don't know if it can be done by manipulating the API maybe...

/Jan

May 03, 2010 @ 21:44
    Todd Coleman

Hmmm, I can see that being a very useful package, however it does not do what I need as it only works with created tabs and properties.  It doesn't seem to bring up the "Generic Properties."  (Name, Publish at, etc...)

May 03, 2010 @ 21:49
    Todd Coleman

Oops, see you already answered while I was testing it.  What I wonder is even though a writer cannot publish or unpublish via the big button on the properties tab, can the effectively do it anyway by setting the "Publish at" and "Remove at" dates?  I can't have the writers doing that no matter if they see the properties tab or not.  Does anyone know if those fields are ignored when updated by a writer?

May 03, 2010 @ 22:24
    Todd Coleman

Ok, I'm still trying to get a handle on how the whole system works, but would something like the following break any of the best practices for Umbraco?

If I put this jQuery script in the /umbraco_client/tabview/javascript.js file:

jQuery(document).ready(function () {$(".header").find("li:last").hide();});
    I know there'd be a bit more to it (eg It doesn't take into account who is logged in,etc...), but boiled down to one line, that does what I want.  
    I'd probably have to remember to patch that file every time I upgrade Umbraco as well...  Not good.
    Also, this isn't really secure, any 8th grader with Greasemonkey could circumvent it.  
    However, for the other 99% of the users, this would probably suffice.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft