Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Martin 8 posts 28 karma points
    May 06, 2010 @ 18:44
    Tom Martin

Populating Lists without using prevalues

Hello all,

I need to create the ability for a content editor to add items to a drop down list.

For example, I have a product that I need to assign categories to.

I want the categories to addable / deletable by the content editor.

The list should appear as either a multi-select dropdown list or checkbox list.

For example, in the content tree, I have a document type 'Categories' which has no data associated with it - it is just a container for a document type 'Category' (i.e. in structure it has allowed child nodes as 'Category'). Category has a textstring datatype for it's name and nothing else.

In the product document type, I want to be able to have a check box list list which contains the items in this node? (i.e. the list of category names)

How can I achieve this?

I am new to Umbraco so hope someone can shed some light on what I hope is a simple problem!

Many thanks

Tom

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    May 06, 2010 @ 19:31
    Tom Fulton

Hi Tom,

I think you can achieve this very easily using the Ultimate Picker datatype.  Just set it's start node to your Categories node's ID, and the Render Type to Checkbox List.

Thanks,

Tom

May 06, 2010 @ 22:17
    Tom Martin

HI Tom

many thanks for that - I've now watched the ultimate picker video and it does appear this is what I need.

The only issue I have is how to add a lot of data easily to a node.

For example say I have a list of countries, thats a lot of 'Create' clicks, typing in the name, and the proceeding to the next country. Is there a quick way of populating a list of country names and having these available in the same way?

Many thanks

Tom.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    May 06, 2010 @ 22:40
    Tom Fulton

Sorry, I don't have an easy solution for that one :)

My only thought would be to try one of the Content Importing packages to create the initial nodes for you, or use the API to create the nodes initially.  I haven't used these myself but wouldn't think it'd be hard to import a list of Countries as Nodes from a spreadsheet/csv/etc.

Thanks,

Tom

May 07, 2010 @ 19:37
    Tom Martin

Thanks Tom :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft