Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeremy Couzens 3 posts 23 karma points
    May 13, 2010 @ 01:29
    Jeremy Couzens

Content maco causes node edit/save/publish issues

I have a strange problem that is really frustrating with content macros in the RTE.  If I add a Macro to the content, it renders fine when looking at the site in the browser.  The problem is if a node has an RTE with a macro inserted, the page takes forever to save & publish.  Also, when clicking on the node in the editor, the document takes forever to load. 

The more macros it has, the longer it takes.  It makes the documents almost unusable if you have more than one macro.

I've checked an confirmed that it's not resources on the server.

Has anyone else experienced this with content macros before?  I love to use XSLT, and this is preventing me from spreading the joy to the users in expanding the RTE features.

cheers!

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    May 13, 2010 @ 05:56
    Aaron Powell

It's good practice not to add macros via the RTE unless you need to embed them in content of the page. Also only have them render in the RTE if you really really need it. First off, rendering in the RTE doesn't really render it accurately, it's still wrapped in a div in the RTE to indicate it's a macro, which wouldn't be there on the published version.

Also, the RTE has to process the macro (at least to a certain extent) so it can show the contents, so if the macro is complex it will take longer to render.

I avoid using RTE-insertable macro's unless the macro is something that they really desperately have to be able to insert on every single page. Sure they may not insert it on every page, but there's nothing to stop them.
    Editors can break a site pretty quickly if you give them the tools to do so ;).

• Jeremy Couzens 3 posts 23 karma points
    May 13, 2010 @ 18:30
    Jeremy Couzens

Thanks for the feedback, but this doesn't answer my issue.  Macros (even the more complex ones) don't take longer than one or two seconds at most to process.  The save and publish of each node with a macro in it takes 30-45 seconds, compared to 2-3 second on a node without.  The macros I'm writing for this are VERY simple (10 - 15 lines).

In these cases it is necessary to use content macros since they must be inserted inline with the content.  Out of the 40 or so XSLT macros I've written only 3 have been enabled for content insertion.

I can't imagine that it is common for nodes with content macros to take this long to load or publish.

Any feedback on potential causes is appreciated.

• Henri Toivonen 77 posts 111 karma points
    Feb 23, 2012 @ 12:49
    Henri Toivonen

Im having the same problem with this on a particular site, first time i've encountered it. When a macro is inserted to the RTE the publishing takes almost a minute, even if the macro is just a oneliner. No errors anywhere, what is going on

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft